Planning Admissions 2019

20 hours ago, gonzoo said:

Hi all!

I only applied to 3 programs all in LA. 

UCLA -- Accepted directly via e-mail on March 14th (graduate division status has not changed)

CPP -- pending

USC -- pending

Has anyone heard back from Cal Poly Pomona or USC?

Thank you and good luck!

Hi gonzoo,

I heard back from USC in February. However, I submitted my application in December to meet the scholarship deadline. I know their admissions are rolling (pretty sure they're still accepting applications actually) so I wouldn't worry too much. Congrats on UCLA!

Hi Planning Group,

I am currently a senior and thinking about graduate school in planning. I have an unrelated degree but a strong interest in this field.

I am interested in those of you who have been accepted successfully into the top 10 programs - what level of experience do you have? Are many of you right out of college, or have you been working prior to application? If you've been working what type of jobs have you been doing and for how long? 

Thanks for sharing

Veron,

I was accepted to UCLA, USC, and Cornell - I'm straight out of undergrad, with a degree in history and a minor in planning. My GPA is mediocre, test scores strong, no relevant job experience but a history of advocacy and community engagement. My experience suggests that most admits work for 2-5 years before applying to MUP programs. The average age of USC's incoming class is around 25. 

3 hours ago, veron91 said:

Hi Planning Group,

I am currently a senior and thinking about graduate school in planning. I have an unrelated degree but a strong interest in this field.

I am interested in those of you who have been accepted successfully into the top 10 programs - what level of experience do you have? Are many of you right out of college, or have you been working prior to application? If you've been working what type of jobs have you been doing and for how long? 

Thanks for sharing

I am also a graduating senior but with majors in economic and urban studies and a minor in architecture. I was admitted into Columbia’s GSAPP program (I only applied to Penn and Columbia, apparently this was Penn’s most competitive year). Additionally, I’ve worked 2 competitive internships in local government that dealt with planning and development. My test scores were okay— good verbal and writing, pretty terrible math. Furthermore, I submitted an architecture portfolio! 

Hi there! I applied to Calgary, Manitoba and Dalhousie. I've been accepted to all of them and now I'm deciding between Dalhousie and Calgary.

If anyone has any input on Dal especially, that would be great. I currently live on the east coast so Calgary appeals to me more (and their program sounds great) but Dal may end up being cheaper. 

Hi all!

I'm choosing between GATech MCRP and UPenn MCP (and also waiting for TUDelft's TIL). International applicant with both law and geography background. Currently I'm more into transportation in the urban planning field.

GATech MCRP is very attractive to me as it seems like a very practical program and locates in a rapidly growing city which it has strong connection with. However very limited information shared about the program and it seems not many people have applied to it so I'm a quite worried.

On the other hand, UPenn MCP sounds a bit more academic and theoretical, and I'm worrying it would be too "pure" theoretical. However I heard that UPenn MCP has a strong reputation and companies consider students coming out from the program as with good quality.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

On 3/23/2019 at 7:29 PM, veron91 said:

Hi Planning Group,

Thanks for sharing

I was accepted to Georgia Tech, which is currently ranked 7th I believe.  I was accepted twice actually, once last year while I was finishing up my senior year, had no relevant work experience and didn't have much volunteer experience either because I worked in res life managing a staff of 45+ people at my university and had like zero time lol.  I also reapplied this year after opting to take a year off from school and was accepted again.  I've been working as a community development intern at a planning firm in St. Louis during my gap year and made sure to include this experience in my application.  I was offered an out of state tuition waiver last year and have yet to hear about financial support this year, but I'm hoping I'll get offered something similar or better.   I'd really like to enroll at GA Tech but paying full tuition would be hard to justify when I have other great offers from a couple schools.

7 hours ago, emmv said:

Hi there! I applied to Calgary, Manitoba and Dalhousie. I've been accepted to all of them and now I'm deciding between Dalhousie and Calgary.

If anyone has any input on Dal especially, that would be great. I currently live on the east coast so Calgary appeals to me more (and their program sounds great) but Dal may end up being cheaper. 

Can't speak to Calgary's program, but I'm from Alberta (Edmonton). I have spent a lot of time in Calgary and have a close family member that teaches at UofC (though not in planning), so if you have questions about the city feel free to ask me! I don't know much about housing and stuff there, but I know restaurants, stores, things to do, etc. 

10 hours ago, emmv said:

Hello there! I am in the same situation as you as I have got accepted to both Dalhousie and Calgary!

I am leaning towards to Calgary because it is a bigger city with more potential opportunities.

One thing that I find is that Calgary doesn't mandate any internship during the summer, while Dalhousie mandates it in the summer.

1 hour ago, bra_996 said:

Btw does anyone hear anything from the U of T? My status changed from "Under Review" to "Decision Made" today, and I haven't received anything from it.

I've read that some people have called and found their decision by calling. Check out the discussion on the results page for U of T planning.

5 hours ago, bra_996 said:

Btw does anyone hear anything from the U of T? My status changed from "Under Review" to "Decision Made" today, and I haven't received anything from it.

I still have "Under Review." Not planning to accept if I am accepted, but it's sort of crazymaking anyways. The fact that some people have been rejected and accepted (according to the results page) makes me think I'm in waitlist or rejection limbo.

Edited by CiaraMeow

1 hour ago, CiaraMeow said:

I still have "Under Review." Not planning to accept if I am accepted, but it's sort of crazymaking anyways. The fact that some people have been rejected and accepted (according to the results page) makes me think I'm in waitlist or rejection limbo.

I think you are still in the pool! My friend has the "under review" status as of today, and he's an extreme well-prepared candidate in terms of the GPA and work-related experience (plus he has already got accepted to schools like UCLA and Berkeley). 

However, I don't have a strong GPA and experience. Now getting the "Decision Made" status definitely makes me feel like it is a 100% rejection LOL

Anyway, I am sure I will hear something in the next few days. The good thing is I have already got accepted to 2 schools, which I won't be too stressed about the U of T result. 

6 hours ago, bra_996 said:

I think you are still in the pool! My friend has the "under review" status as of today, and he's an extreme well-prepared candidate in terms of the GPA and work-related experience (plus he has already got accepted to schools like UCLA and Berkeley). 

However, I don't have a strong GPA and experience. Now getting the "Decision Made" status definitely makes me feel like it is a 100% rejection LOL

Anyway, I am sure I will hear something in the next few days. The good thing is I have already got accepted to 2 schools, which I won't be too stressed about the U of T result. 

Congrats on your acceptances! Hopefully we hear from U of T soon!

I just accepted USCs MUP admission offer with a Half Tuition Dean's Merit Scholarship. I am wary to take on that remaining $45k in debt as I'm coming out of undergrad with about $20k in debt as it is, but I am still waiting to hear back from some more scholarships that may help. 

I turned down NYU Wagner's offer of a $20k Public Service scholarship as it just wasn't enough to offset the tuition and high living expenses. They also hinted that I might receive an hourly job, but what is 20 hours a week (probably at no more than $15 an hour) going to do for NY rent? I also turned down University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, who was offering a $10k merit. Despite the relatively lower cost of living, their tuition would still be too high. They had an attractive GA/RA position that you can apply to that would begin your second semester, but that is a huge limb to go out on for positions that the financial aid department told me were both limited and extremely competitive. 

Hopefully I was able to advance someone deserving on the waitlist at either school. I also hope the USC career office is as good as they promise and I can secure a concurrent internship or two with my program so I can afford to actually live during my program. 

Good luck to everyone deciding or still waiting to hear back!

35 minutes ago, MUPindiana said:

I just accepted USCs MUP admission offer with a Half Tuition Dean's Merit Scholarship. I am wary to take on that remaining $45k in debt as I'm coming out of undergrad with about $20k in debt as it is, but I am still waiting to hear back from some more scholarships that may help. 

I turned down NYU Wagner's offer of a $20k Public Service scholarship as it just wasn't enough to offset the tuition and high living expenses. They also hinted that I might receive an hourly job, but what is 20 hours a week (probably at no more than $15 an hour) going to do for NY rent? I also turned down University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, who was offering a $10k merit. Despite the relatively lower cost of living, their tuition would still be too high. They had an attractive GA/RA position that you can apply to that would begin your second semester, but that is a huge limb to go out on for positions that the financial aid department told me were both limited and extremely competitive. 

Hopefully I was able to advance someone deserving on the waitlist at either school. I also hope the USC career office is as good as they promise and I can secure a concurrent internship or two with my program so I can afford to actually live during my program. 

Good luck to everyone deciding or still waiting to hear back!

MUPindiana- did you attend USC’s Dean’s Merit event last Friday? If so, what did you think? I’m considering USC as well but wasn’t able to attend the event so I’m interested in what you thought.

Hey fellow future planners! Congrats to all on their acceptances!

I've narrowed my choices down to UNC-Chapel Hill & Rutgers. Any insight to either program? They seem quite similar (in terms of research, ranking, etc) to me, so would love to hear what you all think. Thanks!

On 3/22/2019 at 3:24 PM, gonzoo said:

Hi all!

I only applied to 3 programs all in LA. 

UCLA -- Accepted directly via e-mail on March 14th (graduate division status has not changed)

CPP -- pending

USC -- pending

Has anyone heard back from Cal Poly Pomona or USC?

Thank you and good luck!

Yes I got accepted to CPP yesterday via email. Good luck! 

1 hour ago, CanGrad said:

Anyone here that applied to the UAlberta Planning program... has your status been updated? Mine has been sitting at "pre-screening" since I submitted my application. Thank you!

I just got accepted to that program yesterday. I still recall that it should not take too long to change from the status "pre-screening" to "under review". 

Did you submit the application on the deadline February 1? Maybe you should contact them immediately about this.

Edited by bra_996

22 minutes ago, bra_996 said:

I just got accepted to that program yesterday. I still recall that it should not take too long to change from the status "pre-screening" to "under review". 

Did you submit the application on the deadline February 1? Maybe you should contact them immediately about this.

Congrats! I submitted it before the March 15th deadline, about 2 weeks ago. Just not sure what "pre-screening" means, so I sent an email to the department administrator. Thank you and good luck with your studies!

1 hour ago, Doegirl said:

Yes I got accepted to CPP yesterday via email. Good luck! 

congrats, I am also waiting on CPP. Wondering since I didn't get anything yesterday if that means I got rejected lol. Did you get an emaill from the school or from Prof Kim/Abdul/Laura? 

Hello future planners!

I applied to:

UBC - accpeted

Manitoba - accepted

McGill - under review

Queen's- under review

I must give U of M my decision by March 28th, which I believe I will decline for UBC. 

UBC, I believe, best aligns with my interests in social planning and sustainability, however, both tuition and cost of living are the highest out of all my listed schools. Queen's Health and Social planning concentration is also very intriguing. McGill, prestige, along with a strong program. Tuition and price of living for Queen's and McGill are great. I guess I am just looking for some advice if accepted into Queen's and/or McGill from individuals going through the same process. 

Thanks and hopefully you all receive word soon.

Hi everyone!

I applied to Dalhousie and McGill. Got accepted to Dalhousie today. Still under review for McGill.

Very excited and relieved to have an acceptance though!