Two very solid options

fauxmystic

Hey again GC community,

I need some advice. I've been offered two really solid packages from two programs/labs that are truly tied for me. Both have costs and benefits in terms of the PI/research paradigm/facilities/atmosphere which are intangible and that make the decision process somewhat difficult. A few tangible differences between A and B:

A.) Stipend is lower, but cost of living is much lower (but somewhat boring, being in the midwest), less course requirements, in driving distance from family/SO. Offered 1 year fellowship and nominated for additional 3 year fellowship.

B.) Stipend is higher, but cost of living is much higher (but there's more to do *outdoors*, this mythical place that graduate students dream about), more course requirements, would require flights to see family/SO. Offered a 1 year fellowship and additional fellowship for length tbd.

Caveats: I won't know about the 3 year fellowship from A for 3-4 weeks, and I won't receive the finalized package from B until at least one week from now. I know I'm getting ahead of myself here and should just hold my breath until the final numbers come through, but from these few variables, what advice might you have?