Ask me anything: Advice from a 3rd year public health PhD student

DrJackPhD(c)

I wish there was a thread like this 4 years ago when I was posting on here with a bunch of questions about programs and applications.  

Anyways, I'm a third year PhD student in public health (Health Services Policy & Management).  Feel free to ask questions and I'll try to give my best answers.  

I don't know about all the public health schools or their specific quirks, so I can't answer about specific admission requirements or where to find faculty to meet your research focus.

Other than that!  Fire away!

Edited by DrJackPhD(c)
Typo

1 minute ago, apex45 said:

How did you decide between schools? 

How did you determine that you and your current advisor would be a good fit? 

For me, my choice of schools was for the following reasons:

1. Concentration I'm interested in.  "Health Policy"

2. Cost of living (I'm raising a family)

3. Financial assistance in the form of scholarships and graduate assistantships

4. Faculty that fit my research interests.

Regarding advisors:

For every school that fit within my parameters, I looked through the faculty listings on the school website.  I looked at the classes they taught and their publications.  I would introduce myself to those faculty members that fit and started conversations with them.  Some of them were more than happy to talk. You can get a general feel of how the faculty member will fit with you after a few emails or phone conversations.  Even if your have matching interests, the faculty member could rub you the wrong way.  It helps to get that sorted out before you oblige yourself to four to five years of working with that person.

6 minutes ago, ASA15 said:

Hi! Thanks for doing this!

Is there anything you didn't consider when looking at programs that you wish you had? Any questions you wish you'd asked current students/PI/faculty?

That's a good question.  I'd probably want to look into seeing where graduates of the program are now.  How many are in academic positions?  How many are at research universities?  How many stayed in the private sector?  You can "sort of" do a search like that on LinkedIn to see where they are.

One thing I didn't consider was looking at faculty turnover.  Has the majority of faculty been there for a while or is it mostly staffed by newbs.  Faculty turnover can affect both morale and make it difficult to hold onto an advisor that will stick with you through your dissertation.

Hi there,

I've been accepted into an MPH program. Did you do this as well, or did you do another degree first that lead you to pursuing a PhD? 

Also, are you aiming for a career in academia? 

Just now, slubcoda said:

Hi there,

I've been accepted into an MPH program. Did you do this as well, or did you do another degree first that lead you to pursuing a PhD? 

Also, are you aiming for a career in academia? 

I suggest everyone get a Masters before pursuing a public health PhD.  That aside, my masters was in Public Policy and Administration.  I chose to go into health policy (PhD) to further specialize in my specific field of interest.  Most of my cohort and those who followed have MPH's though.  This can be both a good and a bad thing.

Good:  You get people who already have experience and training public health from which they can draw on in their future research.

Bad:   It leads to a bit of an echo chamber.  Many MPH programs are focused on getting people PH jobs.  They don't spend much time on research methodology.  A strong foundation in research methodology is a necessity in any PhD program.  If your program offers econometrics or any other research methodology coursework as an elective.  TAKE IT!  It will make your application if you decide to go for a PhD that much stronger.

The reason that Public Health PhD programs benefit from cohorts with a broad base of education and experience is that the field needs those diverse perspectives.  

Regarding my future career plans:

I do not plan to go for a career in academia.  My goal is to enter the professional workforce and teach as an adjunct professor from time to time.  I want to keep my foot in the door of the ivory tower, but don't want to have to deal with the politics of it.  Publishing is a bit of a pyramid scheme IMHO  :)

Thank you, Jack, for being so thoughtful!

1- Do I have to be good at SPSS or any other statistical analysis tool before I enroll in Ph.D. in Health Promotion?

2- What book do you recommend to read before enrolling in a Ph.D. in Public health to someone from outside the field? I would like to have a comprehensive understanding of most public health topics. ( I had in mind this book: https://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Public-Health-Mary-Jane-Schneider/dp/1284089231/ref=dp_ob_title_bk )

You are doing a noble job, my friend! God bless you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, and thanks for doing this!

I am a US citizen deciding where to do my PhD in public health. I have been accepted to a Top-10 (but not Top-5) program in the US with a team that that has an exceptional publication record, and a not so well known university in Europe with an excellent supervisor who is well known and respected and who was previously at a top university in the US and maintains her links there (and whom I currently work with). Both programs are funded; the European program is better funded but has fewer coursework/training opportunities. 

Do you have any sense of the perception of Europe v US programs? I want to pursue an academic career if possible, and feel it might be frowned upon to pursue a degree in Europe as an American.

Thanks!!

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Dr. Jack,

I have a Master's in experimental psychology, and recently applied to a social and behavioral sciences PhD program. After being wait listed and ultimately rejected, I received some feedback from the program coordinator that they thought I was more interested in psychology than public health. Do you have any advice on how I can demonstrate in future applications that I am ready/ excited to transition from psychology to social and behavioral sciences/ public health?

I guess another way of phrasing that question is, do you have any advice for someone outside of the field of public health who wants to apply successfully?

I realize this is a very specific question, so I understand if you aren't able to help!

-drunkenduck

On 4/17/2019 at 1:49 PM, drunkenduck said:

Do you have any advice on how I can demonstrate in future applications that I am ready/ excited to transition from psychology to social and behavioral sciences/ public health?

Hey Drunken Duck, 

I am/ was a LCSW running a clinical mental health program and was in the same boat having received the same feedback in 2017 that you received this year. Applied again and am now finishing (need to stop procrastinating) the first year of the DrPH. 

It is a specific question which I believe I can shed some light on. 

look for a private message

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/25/2019 at 11:01 AM, DrJackPhD(c) said:

I wish there was a thread like this 4 years ago when I was posting on here with a bunch of questions about programs and applications.  

Anyways, I'm a third year PhD student in public health (Health Services Policy & Management).  Feel free to ask questions and I'll try to give my best answers.  

I don't know about all the public health schools or their specific quirks, so I can't answer about specific admission requirements or where to find faculty to meet your research focus.

Other than that!  Fire away!

@DrJackPhD(c) thanks for doing this!!

I am an international student with a math major. I went straight to a master degree in math as well, but I had a concentration in neuroscience. After 6 years of professional experience in economics and healthcare consulting I want to apply to a PhD program in Public Health with a concentration on Health Policy/economics. I am interested in doing research using data science and behavioral insights to reduce healthcare access in my country. 

1. Would you advice me to go for a MPH as a second masters?

2. I have a published article in epidemiology from my undergrad years but nothing recently. I am planning to engage as a research assistant, however I am not sure if I can get "enough" experience before the application process

3. For me, this is a career change, from math modelling to something more applied. What would your advice be to make this transition smoother?

Thanks again!