Hi, I have an admit from the MIPP program at SAIS with negligible funding. I just wanted some feedback for the program. Is the program recognised, is there scope for a non-US citizen to get employment in the US post this program? Since it's a 9 month program, is the length of the program enough for one to learn? Feedback, advice and help here would be highly appreciated.

PS: I am also awaiting results from the MPP program at HKS and LKY 

19 hours ago, Indian_2019 said:

Hi, I have an admit from the MIPP program at SAIS with negligible funding. I just wanted some feedback for the program. Is the program recognised, is there scope for a non-US citizen to get employment in the US post this program? Since it's a 9 month program, is the length of the program enough for one to learn? Feedback, advice and help here would be highly appreciated.

Bump!

On 2/28/2019 at 1:14 PM, Indian_2019 said:

Hi there - I actually applied for the MIPP in the early round and got accepted in late Dec 2018 with scholarship funds. Yes the program is only 9 months, which is weighing my options since I want to stay working.  I currently live in the DC area.  The program used to be part time (was an option) about 5 years ago.  However,  Hopkins is the number 17 university in the world, according to some rankings.  

The scope is to do what you want to do based upon your background ... you can do whatever your heart desires ... such as work in DC and then go back to your country

On 3/2/2019 at 4:55 AM, bness2002 said:

Hi there - I actually applied for the MIPP in the early round and got accepted in late Dec 2018 with scholarship funds. Yes the program is only 9 months, which is weighing my options since I want to stay working.  I currently live in the DC area.  The program used to be part time (was an option) about 5 years ago.  However,  Hopkins is the number 17 university in the world, according to some rankings.  

The scope is to do what you want to do based upon your background ... you can do whatever your heart desires ... such as work in DC and then go back to your country

Thanks for your reply. Is it possible to compare this program to the MPP programs at HKS and LKY? To me the most appealing part about SAIS is the short duration of the program and off course the location in DC. But, I have been told that outside the USA the brand recognition is minimal, is that true? Also, where can I find the latest rankings of all Universities/ colleges for public policy?

In comparing HKS and LKY, you would have to ask a current or former student on the board.  If I had to compare the programs, I would do that by their concentrations.  Each school has their own "nitch".  What are you trying to concentrate in ?  As far as brand recognition outside the USA, I know Hopkins is well know outside the USA, especially its medicine area.

Here are the rankings that I have been using: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_the_Ivory_Tower

17 hours ago, bness2002 said:

In comparing HKS and LKY, you would have to ask a current or former student on the board.  If I had to compare the programs, I would do that by their concentrations.  Each school has their own "nitch".  What are you trying to concentrate in ?  As far as brand recognition outside the USA, I know Hopkins is well know outside the USA, especially its medicine area.

Here are the rankings that I have been using: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_the_Ivory_Tower

Thanks for sharing the details and the link! Isn't SAIS ranked 3rd for Masters? I am looking at the Energy stream and the challenge is that Johns Hopkins is well known globally for medicine but I am not sure about policy. Also, I am an Indian citizen, so no funding means that I have a big debt to pay back at the end of the program which I feel makes me limit my post program choices!

On 3/5/2019 at 1:20 AM, Indian_2019 said:

Thanks for sharing the details and the link! Isn't SAIS ranked 3rd for Masters? I am looking at the Energy stream and the challenge is that Johns Hopkins is well known globally for medicine but I am not sure about policy. Also, I am an Indian citizen, so no funding means that I have a big debt to pay back at the end of the program which I feel makes me limit my post program choices!

@bness2002: any comments?

7 hours ago, Indian_2019 said:

@bness2002: any comments?

"Isn't SAIS ranked 3rd for Masters?"

Yes - they are ranked number 3 in overall IR public policy.  If you asking about energy policy, you will have to ask someone else since that is not my expertise.

5 hours ago, bness2002 said:

"Isn't SAIS ranked 3rd for Masters?"

Yes - they are ranked number 3 in overall IR public policy.  If you asking about energy policy, you will have to ask someone else since that is not my expertise.

Ok thanks!