Accepting after April15th

I apologize if this is a common knowledge question -- but is it ok to accept an offer of admission after april 15th? especially if you already commit to a school? I have not heard from my number one school yet and I was waitlisted at my number two, but I have been accepted to 3 other places so far. Say I decide to accept my offer of admission at my number 3 school by let's say april 13th, then I hear from my number 2 school on april 17th that I was accepted off of the waitlist and there is a spot open for me. Am I allowed to forfeit my money (deposit) at my number 3 school to then accept my offer of admissions at my number 2 school? 

Thank you for taking your time to read/answer. I apologize if it was really wordy or confusing. This is my first cycle applying so I want to make sure I do everything right.

Schools are obligated (through an honor system) to respond to you by April 15 and not force you to respond before that date. I would not try to accept after that date. Also, yes, I believe you're allowed to forfeit your deposit.

Good luck! :)

Edited by Rezzy S.

This happened to me! I was accepted to my dream school on April 13th, but my letter of commitment to another school was already in route by mail. I would have waited until the April 15th deadline to commit but unfortunately they wanted my decision by snail mail ?, so I had to send it a few days earlier to arrive on time. I lost the $300 deposit but it didn't matter at all since I am now at the best program for me. These things happen and programs will understand.

Good luck to you, I know the waitlist process is really hard!