Georgetown MSFS

Hi all, MSFS results seem to be trickling out! I didn’t make it unfortunately, but I have a friend who did get in, so it’s not as if the notifications are all negative.

My notification was sent via email from an admissions officer. Not sure why they didn’t update the portal for a negative result, but oh well. Good luck to everyone here!

5 minutes ago, homesicksub said:

Hi all, MSFS results seem to be trickling out! I didn’t make it unfortunately, but I have a friend who did get in, so it’s not as if the notifications are all negative.

My notification was sent via email from an admissions officer. Not sure why they didn’t update the portal for a negative result, but oh well. Good luck to everyone here!

I just checked the portal and there’s nothing there. Did your friend also find out via email or was there an update on the portal? 

1 minute ago, margentina17 said:

I just checked the portal and there’s nothing there. Did your friend also find out via email or was there an update on the portal? 

It was a generic email directly from an admission’s officer. I believe my friend got the email as well! When the MSFS officer said to look out for the official letter by the week of the 18th, I would assume the portal should change when that letter is ready.

Edited by homesicksub

8 minutes ago, homesicksub said:

It was a generic email directly from an admission’s officer. I believe my friend got the email as well! When the MSFS officer said to look out for the official letter by the week of the 18th, I would assume the portal should change when that letter is ready.

That makes sense. I’m sorry to hear you didn’t get in, but I know you have other wonderful options! Who knows, maybe we’ll end up at fletcher together! 

Just now, margentina17 said:

That makes sense. I’m sorry to hear you didn’t get in, but I know you have other wonderful options! Who knows, maybe we’ll end up at fletcher together! 

Thank you! Like I said in the results thread, I’m not surprised, so that softens the blow. Good luck to you - try not to glue your eyes to your email all weekend though!

11 hours ago, pol_mil_junkie said:

I'm also waiting to hear back on SSP. I got into GWU Security studies but obviously want GT more.

14 hours ago, VoidFish said:

Has anyone heard from the Security Studies program? 

I did yes! On Friday! 

I received an email from the Director of Admissions of my acceptance into the MSFS program! I could not contain my excitement until I got to the part where they did not select me to receive scholarships from the school or the program. It is my dream school and I really, really want to go there. But the thought of having to pay back all that loan for the next 20 years is killing me.
UCSD offered me a full tuition + fee waiver for the MIA program. I might take this but I am also concerned about its location and the alumni network. I am an international student from a developing country so SFS might be able to open more work opportunities for me than UCSD in the States or at international institutions.

I'm so confused!

1 hour ago, TheSAfiltercoffee said:

I received an email from the Director of Admissions of my acceptance into the MSFS program! I could not contain my excitement until I got to the part where they did not select me to receive scholarships from the school or the program. It is my dream school and I really, really want to go there. But the thought of having to pay back all that loan for the next 20 years is killing me.
UCSD offered me a full tuition + fee waiver for the MIA program. I might take this but I am also concerned about its location and the alumni network. I am an international student from a developing country so SFS might be able to open more work opportunities for me than UCSD in the States or at international institutions.

I'm so confused!

Yeah I was disappointed to not get any scholarship money too. But full tuition at UCSD is amazing - that's a great school! It's true that some things would be easier in DC (like being able to intern during the semester), but in my opinion the relatively minor advantages of Georgetown over UCSD are not worth six figures in debt. Go to the school that's throwing a ton of money at you and enjoy the California weather :) 

Edited by somewhatslightlydazed

I wasn’t aware MSFS was so reluctant to give scholarship aid. I suppose it makes sense if you’re considered the top program in the field. How can you even begin to negotiate funding (even if you have other offers to use as leverage)?

It's not that they are reluctant to give funding, it's just that they are willing to extend admission to lots of people in order to bolster their numbers. In the end some who received funding offer will decline for other schools and some without funding will accept regardless. Georgetown knows exactly what they are doing.

12 hours ago, somewhatslightlydazed said:

Yeah I was disappointed to not get any scholarship money too. But full tuition at UCSD is amazing - that's a great school! It's true that some things would be easier in DC (like being able to intern during the semester), but in my opinion the relatively minor advantages of Georgetown over UCSD are not worth six figures in debt. Go to the school that's throwing a ton of money at you and enjoy the California weather :) 

Thank you for the response! Literally everyone I have talked to about this have advised me to follow the money. :) I didn't even realise how much I want to go to SFS until I find myself in this position. Would you, by any chance, have any idea where I can intern during semesters in San Diego? I have a solid background in human rights arena but I wanna focus on foreign policies of countries in the Asia-Pacific region in grad school.

Also, are you planning to take SFS's offer despite no funding?

Edited by TheSAfiltercoffee

34 minutes ago, TheSAfiltercoffee said:

Thank you for the response! Literally everyone I have talked to about this have advised me to follow the money. :) I didn't even realise how much I want to go to SFS until I find myself in this position. Would you, by any chance, have any idea where I can intern during semesters in San Diego? I have a solid background in human rights arena but I wanna focus on foreign policies of countries in the Asia-Pacific region in grad school.

Also, are you planning to take SFS's offer despite no funding?

I’m not sure about internships in SD, sorry. But I know their east Asia program is great, so they probably have research centers where you could work/intern! And nope SFS is out for me, I’m probably going to either SIPA or SAIS since both gave me around $30k/year in funding (and I’m hoping for an additional $30k fellowship from SIPA that I’ll hear about in the next few weeks)