MA CUNY

Moose#@1%$

So, I got rejected from CUNY for phd but got an email from them about their MA (unfunded lol). Besides the you're an excellent candidate but unfortunately you didn't make the PhD... blah blah ha.. the email seems to make the MA program sound great and very affordable (it actually kinda is, comparativly to other masters programs) 

First, I didn't even know they had an MA program. It's supposedly 3 semester long and is taught the "same" as the PhD students. I've been accepted to couple of schools and wait-listed at 2 more, so, I'm not going to take this "offer," but, I'm wondering whether anybody knows anything about CUNY's MA program. They don't have a placement record on the website.. or what help they provide for MA studetns (i couldn't find any, at least). Anyway, if anybody has heard anything or knows anybody at the MA program there... info would be helpful. For me and others who might have gotten the same email and may not have any other offers.

I'm not in philosophy but have heard about this new tactic some of the CUNY programs are going to try. They don't have an official MA--you come to the PhD program for three semesters and write something and go. It's a way for them to keep their attendance high so they can hire more faculty and offer more classes to their PhD students without having to shell out more money--their justification is: it's CUNY, we broke! 

Donnnnn't do it. 

13 minutes ago, oroanthro said:

I'm not in philosophy but have heard about this new tactic some of the CUNY programs are going to try. They don't have an official MA--you come to the PhD program for three semesters and write something and go. It's a way for them to keep their attendance high so they can hire more faculty and offer more classes to their PhD students without having to shell out more money--their justification is: it's CUNY, we broke! 

Donnnnn't do it. 

hmmm interesting.... can i ask how do you know this? are you currently at CUNY?

11 hours ago, Moose#@1%$ said:

So, I got rejected from CUNY for phd but got an email from them about their MA (unfunded lol). Besides the you're an excellent candidate but unfortunately you didn't make the PhD... blah blah ha.. the email seems to make the MA program sound great and very affordable (it actually kinda is, comparativly to other masters programs) 

First, I didn't even know they had an MA program. It's supposedly 3 semester long and is taught the "same" as the PhD students. I've been accepted to couple of schools and wait-listed at 2 more, so, I'm not going to take this "offer," but, I'm wondering whether anybody knows anything about CUNY's MA program. They don't have a placement record on the website.. or what help they provide for MA studetns (i couldn't find any, at least). Anyway, if anybody has heard anything or knows anybody at the MA program there... info would be helpful. For me and others who might have gotten the same email and may not have any other offers.

I know you said you weren't going to take this offer, but it sounds like (maybe?) you're considering it anyway, so here's my advice:

Don't ever pay for an MA. There are plenty of excellent, funded MAs out there.

Many of the top schools have "cash cow" MA programs. It's a way to generate revenue, and as others have said, keep their enrollments up. Chicago has such a program (MAPH), so does NYU, so does Columbia, and CUNY is in this boat as well. It's unconscionable, but they're using their name recognition as top schools to flatter people into paying out a lot of money for a degree that won't do anything for them.

Their website doesn't say what tuition is, but even if it's basically free, you'll be borrowing a lot of $$ to live in NYC. You'll also be competing for time and attention with the PhD programs, and they will get first priority. This is why if you want to get an MA, you should do so at a terminal MA program, where you'll be the star of the show.

Edited by hector549

21 hours ago, Moose#@1%$ said:

hmmm interesting.... can i ask how do you know this? are you currently at CUNY?

Yes, I'm a student here--a friend works in one of these high-powered offices that approves these sorts of things. As the person above mentioned, it's a cash cow program. We are all well aware of it. 

1 hour ago, oroanthro said:

Yes, I'm a student here--a friend works in one of these high-powered offices that approves these sorts of things. As the person above mentioned, it's a cash cow program. We are all well aware of it. 

Well... damn.. 

I’m one of those people who got this “offer” and got shutout otherwise. I know this might come out as desperate, but setting aside the fact that it’s a cash cow program, if you could say something about the perks of going to this program (if any), what would it be?

7 hours ago, billiebillie said:

I’m one of those people who got this “offer” and got shutout otherwise. I know this might come out as desperate, but setting aside the fact that it’s a cash cow program, if you could say something about the perks of going to this program (if any), what would it be?

Hmm. It doesn't sound desperate--there are a lot of people here pointing out the negatives (as well they should) so you are trying to weigh your options. I get it. I GUESS if  I had to say something, it is that you can take courses with really great instructors and meet really good people, keep up with current discussions in your field, etc while you apply to other programs. And hopefully get into another program. But as I believe someone above mentioned--you might not get the same attention as phd students, so you might not make those great connections you need. I personally find that in general faculty here are very nice and feel terrible but also powerless regarding the institutions funding and how the burden gets shifted to students. I would think they would give you the time and attention you deserve (after all, the only ones who know you are an MA student are the ones on admissions) but it is not a guarantee. It's a lot of money and a lot of risk.

I know this is rough and I feel for you. Good luck with your decision!

4 hours ago, oroanthro said:

Hmm. It doesn't sound desperate--there are a lot of people here pointing out the negatives (as well they should) so you are trying to weigh your options. I get it. I GUESS if  I had to say something, it is that you can take courses with really great instructors and meet really good people, keep up with current discussions in your field, etc while you apply to other programs. And hopefully get into another program. But as I believe someone above mentioned--you might not get the same attention as phd students, so you might not make those great connections you need. I personally find that in general faculty here are very nice and feel terrible but also powerless regarding the institutions funding and how the burden gets shifted to students. I would think they would give you the time and attention you deserve (after all, the only ones who know you are an MA student are the ones on admissions) but it is not a guarantee. It's a lot of money and a lot of risk.

I know this is rough and I feel for you. Good luck with your decision!

Thanks so much for your insight; it really helps! And yeah, it’s been a rough cycle for me and I’m so looking forward to getting all of this over with...