Ask a Grad Student from Loma Linda

Hi, friends! I'm a current graduate student at Loma Linda University. I promised I would come back here this year to pay it forward, so here I am. If you have any questions about grad school in general or LLU's program, feel free to reach out. I'm rooting for you! 

Edited by Taco

What does your typical day at LLU look like? I heard through the grapevine that you guys don't have tests because of your problem based curriculum, is that true? What's your favorite part about being at LLU?   

5 minutes ago, lasmith said:

What does your typical day at LLU look like? I heard through the grapevine that you guys don't have tests because of your problem based curriculum, is that true? What's your favorite part about being at LLU?   

In the first year, we have classes 3 days a week in the evenings (usually 5 P.M. - 7:50) plus one Friday AM per month. We also have clinics 1-2 days per week when we're not in classes. Every day looks a little different, but most school days (usually just the 3 a week,) I get to campus around mid-day, work on some assignments or meet clients for clinic, meet with faculty or work my graduate assistantship, then go to class and home.  

LLU uses problem-based learning or hybrid (some PBL and some quizzes or other types of assignments). The research courses (2 of them throughout the first 5 quarters) are not PBL, they use quizzes, a midterm, and final for those. But honestly, after what we did to get into grad school, they're not that bad. So I'd say it's very exam-light. I'd say the most labor-intensive assignments are actually the independent learning activities (ILAs) which usually require a fair amount of reading, analyzing, and writing. We are pretty much always writing things here. Problem-based learning is great once you get used to the format. I think it's super informative and functional. It's the main reason I came here. 

Favorite things: Coming from a state school, I LOVE the amount of attention faculty can give to us here. They're super informal and don't mind taking extra time to explain stuff or chat with you about your life. I love problem-based learning because it takes the pressure off to memorize so that I can spend my time understanding and applying my knowledge. 

On 3/11/2019 at 10:07 PM, Taco said:

Hi, friends! I'm a current graduate student at Loma Linda University. I promised I would come back here this year to pay it forward, so here I am. If you have any questions about grad school in general or LLU's program, feel free to reach out. I'm rooting for you! 

Hello! I am currently on the alternate list at LLU. Loma Linda is my first choice for graduate schools, however, I need to make a decision for other schools. Do you know what the chances are of me getting Off the alternate list?

On 3/13/2019 at 9:26 PM, Carlsbadslp said:

Hello! I am currently on the alternate list at LLU. Loma Linda is my first choice for graduate schools, however, I need to make a decision for other schools. Do you know what the chances are of me getting Off the alternate list?

Hey! So, it's a little different every year. They go pretty far down the waiting list usually, but this year might be different because LLU got some attention for being a top school. I would say, don't give up hope! Most people on the waiting list got in eventually. That being said, you might not hear back until the universal deadline..so if you have to commit to another school, just know that the penalty will be whatever deposit you put down if you do get off the waitlist and have to back out of the other school. Bright side: the LLU deposit is usually like $200, so its not too bad..

• 2 months later...

Do you know if all graduates of the Doctor of SLP are working and can you teach with the degree?

Edited by ImHis