Northeastern 2019

There is a facebook page for admitted students called Northeastern University Slp-Ma 2019. Please like the page if you are attending in the Fall of 2019!

9 hours ago, cakcak said:

I still haven't heard any word about financial aid. Should I contact them? Or just wait a few more days? I don't want to annoy them but I also really need to know!

I am in the same boat. Funding is a huge factor in deciding where to go. I really hope they send it out soon!

EP24: I went to the open house and really loved the program. I feel like I only see negative things about the program on these boards so I am hoping my post will initiate others to write good things as well. I felt like the program was full of extremely intelligent people who were a little more laid back than other programs (BU,MGH) which is more my type. The student panel was extremely helpful and students gave their personal experiences and answered tons of questions. One thing that stuck out that was mentioned was that last year there were 7 competitive clinical placement sites and NEU students were placed in all 7. The year before there were 6 and NEU got 5 of the 6. The students and faculty were extremely friendly and willing to answer any questions. They students frequently made jokes with one another and the professors which gave me a sense that they have great relationships within the program. The research and academics were also very impressive. I will mostly likely be attending but am still weighing out all my options. Hope this helps and pushes other people to make positive comments about this great program! 

Ok I am glad you loved it as well! I am deciding between there and BU and there are tons of positive (and negative) posts about BU but I tried to find posts about Northeastern and there are limited posts that do exist are majority negative! Which, everyone can of course have their own opinion on the school but I was getting nervous that maybe I shouldn't love the program as much as I do. Glad to see someone else loves their program as well! 

30 minutes ago, MC15 said:

Ok I am glad you loved it as well! I am deciding between there and BU and there are tons of positive (and negative) posts about BU but I tried to find posts about Northeastern and there are limited posts that do exist are majority negative! Which, everyone can of course have their own opinion on the school but I was getting nervous that maybe I shouldn't love the program as much as I do. Glad to see someone else loves their program as well! 

I am in the same boat. I am between BU and Northeastern and I have no idea what I want to do. I honestly switch between the two everyday. Do you have any idea which way you are leaning? 

@SLP97 I am glad to hear someone is also deciding between the same two schools! I also feel like I switch between them everyday but always feel like I come back to Northeastern. I am not sure if you went to the open house for either of them but this kind of helped me decide a little bit (but also didn't help because both programs were amazing). There were things I loved about BU and things I loved about NEU. I ended up making a pros and cons list and then contacting a student in each of the programs and asked why they chose their programs. This helped me out a little. Overall I feel like NEU just had this vibe when I was there that just made me feel comfortable and excited. Not saying anything bad about BU but I just felt like the NEU students were extremely smart and hardworking but a bit more relaxed which is more of my personality. BU kind of came off competitive and uptight to me (which may have not been the case for other people!) In my pros and cons list the pros of NEU were way longer than the cons while the pros and cons of BU ended up being pretty much equal. Anyone reading this post right now is probably thinking "okay so just picking Northeastern" but I feel like I just can't give up on BU that easily (as silly as that sounds). 

What are your opinions so far?? 

@MC15 I am kind of feeling the same way but for BU. I unfortunately was unable to attend the open houses, but I did my interview in person for both schools so I was able to get a tour/feel of the individual schools. When I went to BU for my interview, I just loved it a lot more than when I interviewed at NEU or Emerson. I'm in the same boat where I've made a pros and cons list for each school and my pros list is definitely longer for BU, but something about NEU does not want me to let go. My friends keep telling me that every time I say something good about BU, I feel like I have to say something good about NEU. I've talked to students from both programs and a lot of people keep saying the reason they chose xyz school is because it is in Boston and the clinical opportunities, but that is not useful for someone who is choosing between two Boston schools. There is no wrong choice here, but what is the right choice??? (April 15th is approaching quicker than I want it to) 

@SLP97 Ugh see your post then makes me think "maybe I should pick BU"! I am sooo indecisive. I am sure April 14th at 11:00PM I will make my decision. I decided for undergrad the night before as well. I will say the vibes I got at the interview for NEU were not great and the vibes I got at open house for BU I liked but then I was able to attend open house and I ended up loving NEU. UGH! This is so hard but I am so thankful I have the option to be deciding between two schools (I applied to 11 schools with hopes of getting into at least 1!) 

Also for those wondering about scholarships at Northeastern at open house they said they are still giving them out during the next few weeks! 

@MC15 I really wish I could have gone to the open house but I don't go to school near Boston and I already made the trip up for the interviews, so I couldn't really afford to go up again. I am also easily influenced by other people's posts. So I am leaning towards BU, but when I see people post good things about NEU I start to second guess myself. And I applied to 9 schools thinking I wouldn't even get into one of them. It's a nice problem to have not knowing where to go, but I am also super indecisive to the point I wish I only got into NEU or BU. I just need someone to tell me what to do. 

Also anyone who has some positive things to say about Northeastern please comment them! After searching for hours the other day on this website I couldn't find a single post that contained a good amount of positives about the program! Hoping this post can serve as a positive one for people who need information about this school in the future! 

9 minutes ago, MC15 said:

Also anyone who has some positive things to say about Northeastern please comment them! After searching for hours the other day on this website I couldn't find a single post that contained a good amount of positives about the program! Hoping this post can serve as a positive one for people who need information about this school in the future! 

I interviewed there, did a tour, and then reached out to one of my old friends who just graduated from master's program (and did UG there). In a nutshell, my friend said she's had really good and really bad experiences with the program and department. She said there are many awesome clinical placements but you have to take the initiative to get them- talk to the clinical placement director directly. Some professors are amazing and others aren't. Some care a lot about the students and some care more about their research. She said one major con is that the department can be disorganized, especially when registering for classes, but then it works out in the end (I find this interesting because of how many people have said they sent emails to the department email and haven't gotten a response). One thing she particularly likes is how supportive the students are of each other (there's no cattiness) and the first years are partnered with a second year buddy to guide them through the first year. 

When I visited, I really liked the facilities and the current students and professors I talked to (specifically the TBI professor!). One of the students I talked to also made a comment about some of the professors not caring about the students. I guess that's something that happens a many universities, but is still concerning to me. I didn't apply to BU but I have been debating MGH and Northeastern for a while. Northeastern is cheaper than MGH (also a semester shorter than MGH) and BU which is a major plus (if you're concerned about money). Also, I personally like the Northeastern campus better than BU and MGH.

Basically, my understanding and the vibe I'm getting is that Northeastern is a great program with great opportunities if you can navigate it correctly and take the initiative. 

@cakcak thanks for the input! During open house they said that you meet with the clinical director and make a list of places/populations you want and they do their best to get you what you want! I wonder if that's maybe a new part of their program. I also heard that the program is disorganized so I asked the 2nd year who was giving me a tour and he said people do say that but it is more disorganized if you are a disorganized person. If you are on top of your stuff and are organized and driven then it isn't a problem at all (he said he is this way and has never once had a problem). I actually emailed a professor on Monday asking about her research and she answered my email in less than 5 minutes so I was impressed by that! 

I feel like you get what you put in at any university! If you don't put yourself out there and push for what you want I feel like you will feel sort of left behind whether it is BU, Northeastern or a local state school!