Summer before application-Language or Quant?

5 minutes ago, Mixedmethodsisa4letterword said:

Hey guys,

I only have one summer before next application cycle and I want to spend my time in the most effective way. I am choosing between ICPSR and Middlebury's Summer Language Program.

Anyone wants to weigh in? Thanks in advance!

If the programs you are applying to require data management and or statistics, as some do, go for the first one. If the programs do not, choose the language program (and mention it in the application essay, that you have been working on the requirements already). Good luck. ?

Quant no question. Remember if you're looking into a Ph.D. you're looking to be a scientist in a very literal sense. Knowing a foreign language can signal you're a capable person, but they do not help you do science. There may be an exception if you're doing area studies, but even then I would argue that methods are still more important. Methods are much more relevant and will do more to help you get into a good program. Even if you yourself don't want to be a quant researcher, it's very important that you're able to engage with it in an intelligent way.

18 minutes ago, oats said:

Quant no question. Remember if you're looking into a Ph.D. you're looking to be a scientist in a very literal sense. Knowing a foreign language can signal you're a capable person, but they do not help you do science. There may be an exception if you're doing area studies, but even then I would argue that methods are still more important. Methods are much more relevant and will do more to help you get into a good program. Even if you yourself don't want to be a quant researcher, it's very important that you're able to engage with it in an intelligent way.

Thanks for the response! The thing is that I have taken multiple advanced stats course during my undergraduate studies (although significantly underperformed in one course). I think the dilemma here is whether to become more advanced in sth I am already sort of good at, or fill the gap in my background (the language of the area I wanna study) to be a more all-around applicant.

Edited by Mixedmethodsisa4letterword

Then I think it comes down to what type of research you want to do, and how tied you are to whatever region you're studying. Not knowing your broader background or goals, I'll say a couple of things that may be able to help inform you:

1. If you're planning to do qualitative research focused on a single region, then I would expect you to at least know the basics of the region's language. Beyond that though, foreign languages really are almost no value added in my view beyond signaling that you're at least moderately intelligent. This is coming from someone who learned two.

2. I'm not familiar with Middlebury's program, but recognize that even full immersion in a foreign country will not get you very far in the language if it's only for a summer. Especially if you're learning anything more complicated than spanish/german/french. If you already have a good foundation in the language and the summer program is an immersion experience that might really solidify the language, then it is a bit more appealing.

3. For the majority of scholars, a computer language will be much more valuable than a foreign language. Consider focusing on the computational courses at ICPSR if your stats are already solid.

1 hour ago, Mixedmethodsisa4letterword said:

Hey guys,

I only have one summer before next application cycle and I want to spend my time in the most effective way. I am choosing between ICPSR and Middlebury's Summer Language Program.

Anyone wants to weigh in? Thanks in advance!

What is your subfield? If you're Theory, then Language especially German, French. If American, then quant. If IR, then it probably depends on where you feel weaker/what your research interests are. If you want to use a lot of data analysis for research, then quant. If not, and especially if you don't have any significant 2nd language ability, then language. Comparative is the same scenario as IR, I would say.

Speaking as a Theory/IR person, I've found having a UG minor in German was helpful for getting into my master's program because it showed a very focused initiative on my part towards European Integration studies at the time (I've since moved away from that focus though). With that in mind, I think an IR/Comparativist can distinguish themselves by having language ability in the region they are studying. Conversely, there are heaps of people with quant 'focuses' who have very little actual research focus beyond that. Just my 2 cents.

29 minutes ago, Theoryboi said:

What is your subfield? If you're Theory, then Language especially German, French. If American, then quant. If IR, then it probably depends on where you feel weaker/what your research interests are. If you want to use a lot of data analysis for research, then quant. If not, and especially if you don't have any significant 2nd language ability, then language. Comparative is the same scenario as IR, I would say.

Speaking as a Theory/IR person, I've found having a UG minor in German was helpful for getting into my master's program because it showed a very focused initiative on my part towards European Integration studies at the time (I've since moved away from that focus though). With that in mind, I think an IR/Comparativist can distinguish themselves by having language ability in the region they are studying. Conversely, there are heaps of people with quant 'focuses' who have very little actual research focus beyond that. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for weighing in! I'm CP with a focus on MENA. Know French and Chinese but only have an elementary proficiency in Arabic. 

58 minutes ago, oats said:

Then I think it comes down to what type of research you want to do, and how tied you are to whatever region you're studying. Not knowing your broader background or goals, I'll say a couple of things that may be able to help inform you:

1. If you're planning to do qualitative research focused on a single region, then I would expect you to at least know the basics of the region's language. Beyond that though, foreign languages really are almost no value added in my view beyond signaling that you're at least moderately intelligent. This is coming from someone who learned two.

2. I'm not familiar with Middlebury's program, but recognize that even full immersion in a foreign country will not get you very far in the language if it's only for a summer. Especially if you're learning anything more complicated than spanish/german/french. If you already have a good foundation in the language and the summer program is an immersion experience that might really solidify the language, then it is a bit more appealing.

3. For the majority of scholars, a computer language will be much more valuable than a foreign language. Consider focusing on the computational courses at ICPSR if your stats are already solid.

Thanks for the response. I plan to do mixed methods research while leaning towards quant side (authoritarianism and historical institutionalism). 

I'm CP with a focus on MENA and have been to the region multiple times. I have an elementary proficiency in Arabic but nowhere near being able to do quality research (I do know Chinese and French though). 

In this case, do you think I should opt for ICPSR?

Thank you for the help in advance.

Edited by Mixedmethodsisa4letterword

Many applicants will have language proficiency. ICPSR is well known in the field, and will set you apart. Opt for ICPSR, just mention that you're learning Arabic -- you can gain more proficiency in it once you're in your program.