UCSD vs JHU for Robotics

GPathak

Help needed with deciding between University of California San Diego (M.S. in Intelligent Systems Robotics and Control) and Johns Hopkins University (M.S. in Robotics). Points I wish to consider:
1. Quality of Education and research opportunities (Robotics field)
2. Financial Help (RA/TA) - Competitiveness and Compensation
3. Job opportunities
4. Location

I did my undergrad at UCSD and I am considering JHU for Masters (not in robotics, but MechE), so at least I can speak of San Diego as a location (I haven't visited Baltimore yet). San Diego is an awesome city - warm weather, good food, lots to do(especially if you are into watersports). But, it is expensive. If you compare housing prices around UCSD vs around JHU and you will see a big difference. From what I understand, the vibe is also different. San Diego is a much more "chill" city...I once had a math professor who would come into class barefoot while wearing boardshorts.  Also, you gotta have a car in San Diego, otherwise you are stuck. From what I understand, you don't really need a car in Baltimore. Anyway, good luck with choosing!

On 3/23/2019 at 11:37 AM, blahblah_girl said:

I did my undergrad at UCSD and I am considering JHU for Masters (not in robotics, but MechE), so at least I can speak of San Diego as a location (I haven't visited Baltimore yet). San Diego is an awesome city - warm weather, good food, lots to do(especially if you are into watersports). But, it is expensive. If you compare housing prices around UCSD vs around JHU and you will see a big difference. From what I understand, the vibe is also different. San Diego is a much more "chill" city...I once had a math professor who would come into class barefoot while wearing boardshorts.  Also, you gotta have a car in San Diego, otherwise you are stuck. From what I understand, you don't really need a car in Baltimore. Anyway, good luck with choosing!

Hey! I have admits from UCSD and JHU for masters in MechE. I am very confused about where to go. :(

18 hours ago, arjavvashi said:

Hey! I have admits from UCSD and JHU for masters in MechE. I am very confused about where to go. :(

Hey! I am visiting Baltimore right now and I think I will go here - I want to do BME research and I really like a few labs in JHU.  Not saying UCSD isn't great, but I personally just want a change :) 

Let me know if you have any questions about UCSD or JHU, I will try to answer them :)

4 hours ago, blahblah_girl said:

Hey! I am visiting Baltimore right now and I think I will go here - I want to do BME research and I really like a few labs in JHU.  Not saying UCSD isn't great, but I personally just want a change :) 

Let me know if you have any questions about UCSD or JHU, I will try to answer them :)

That's great! Are you joining in Fall 19?

8 hours ago, blahblah_girl said:

Which uni will you rate higher in terms of a collaborative work environment? I know you can't really comment on JHU based on your personal experiences but what did you learn about JHU during your campus tour that made you believe that JHU is the place to be rather than UCSD?

6 hours ago, arjavvashi said:

That's great! Are you joining in Fall 19?

Most likely!

2 hours ago, arjavvashi said:

Which uni will you rate higher in terms of a collaborative work environment? I know you can't really comment on JHU based on your personal experiences but what did you learn about JHU during your campus tour that made you believe that JHU is the place to be rather than UCSD?

It's hard to say. The lab I want to join at JHU seemed very friendly and super-collaborative with many different faculty from the hospitals actively participating in the projects. For my work, clinical collaboration is essential and JHU is great for it. Cannot say too much about the classes, though, as I need to talk more to the students there about it :) .  I also like the essay option at JHU - seems to be slightly less nerve-wracking than a traditional thesis like at UCSD, so won't need to do your Masters for longer than needed. Finally, I just really liked the JHU campus, it's old an charming. UCSD's campus is great but very different in architecture, so I wanted a change. Honestly, I think everything comes down to me just wanting to try to live in a very different part of the US. 

If, however, getting funded and cost are big deals for you, I might recommend against JHU. From what I heard, RA/TAships do not fully fund you. UCSD wouldn't cover your full costs as an international student either, but would still make it considerably cheaper (plus it's twice as cheap by default).

17 hours ago, blahblah_girl said:

Most likely!

It's hard to say. The lab I want to join at JHU seemed very friendly and super-collaborative with many different faculty from the hospitals actively participating in the projects. For my work, clinical collaboration is essential and JHU is great for it. Cannot say too much about the classes, though, as I need to talk more to the students there about it :) .  I also like the essay option at JHU - seems to be slightly less nerve-wracking than a traditional thesis like at UCSD, so won't need to do your Masters for longer than needed. Finally, I just really liked the JHU campus, it's old an charming. UCSD's campus is great but very different in architecture, so I wanted a change. Honestly, I think everything comes down to me just wanting to try to live in a very different part of the US. 

If, however, getting funded and cost are big deals for you, I might recommend against JHU. From what I heard, RA/TAships do not fully fund you. UCSD wouldn't cover your full costs as an international student either, but would still make it considerably cheaper (plus it's twice as cheap by default).

I was initially offered 50% tuition funding at JHU. But within 2 hours, they rescind the offer saying some mistake has been made and offered me 5k per semester instead -_- !!!! So annoying! I don't think I am going to join JHU now without substantial funding. UCSD is also not very cheap but I am confident that I will get a TA/Reader from the 2nd quarter to at least waive my in-state tuition.

All the best to you for JHU! I saw some videos and the campus looked really beautiful! Keep in touch maybe we will collaborate one day haha