I'm currently trying to decide what grad school to attend, and I'm also wondering about the future. My long-term goal is to get my PhD, as I would really like to teach in the field. Thus far, I've been accepted to the University of New Hampshire, Edinboro University of PA, and North Carolina Central University. UNH and NCCU both seem to have quite strong programs/opportunities for research. However, both are quite a bit more expensive ($15-20k for the two years) than Edinboro, where I've also been offered an assistantship for the first year. So what I'm wondering is, does it matter significantly where I get my Masters in order to be accepted in a PhD program? (Currently, I'd also like to work for a bit before I try for my PhD, if that's relevant.) I'm conflicted on what school to choose, but right now I'm leaning towards Edinboro for the price and the guaranteed opportunity to work in research/with a professor as a GA. I'm not particularly concerned about academics - while each program has its strengths, they're all accredited and I know I'll get my CCCs and learn more or less the same info. from any of them.

I'm not an expert, but from what I've read Ph.D.s are in such short supply that schools probably won't be too picky about which school you attend. I think having a mentor who can guide you through the research process (and provide a great LOR) would be really helpful, and it sounds like you can have that with Edinboro.

One more thing to think about, though: do you know what you might like to specialize in for the Ph.D.? If one school has an amazing professor in that specialty (or even a similar one) you could really get a leg up in immersing yourself in the research you're most interested in.

35 minutes ago, bibliophile222 said:

I'm not an expert, but from what I've read Ph.D.s are in such short supply that schools probably won't be too picky about which school you attend. I think having a mentor who can guide you through the research process (and provide a great LOR) would be really helpful, and it sounds like you can have that with Edinboro.

One more thing to think about, though: do you know what you might like to specialize in for the Ph.D.? If one school has an amazing professor in that specialty (or even a similar one) you could really get a leg up in immersing yourself in the research you're most interested in.

Well, I'm not really sure! I have different areas of research; I did some undergrad research on gender/ASD and I'm interested in ASD, multicultural issues, early intervention... pediatrics in general... but I don't exactly have one topic that I know I want to specialize in, which is what I'd like to figure out in grad school. UNH would be great for ASD, but I got turned down for a GA with a professor who specializes in that... NCCU would also be great for ASD and multicultural issues. But I'm really weighing the price, along with the fact that at Edinboro I'm being guaranteed experience outside of clinical (which I'll have at all the schools) and they do have a thesis option as well. The problem is that the program is in flux with new professors, so I don't know what professors at Edinboro next year will specialize in. ? So I'm feeling quite conflicted.

I don't think where you got your degree matters! You will be choosing a PhD program based on who you want as your research mentor, so as long as you can show genuine interest in the research topic/project that you want to pursue, that will mean more than where you received a masters from. I hope that helps to some degree (PUN INTENDED YES) :) 

Edited by BioCook
Add info