How many classes should I take per semester for PhD?

Hi all!

I am trying to figure out if I should take two classes per semester for two and half years or three classes per semester for the first year and two classes per semester for the second year. The problem I also have is that my lab and where I will be taking classes is about a 45 minute drive from each other, so I have to think about my time wisely.

Thanks in advance!

Do you know what the norm is for students in your program? I would try to ask current students what they have done and how much work each course requires a week so that you can figure out how much time you need to devote to coursework on top of research and other responsibilities. 

1 hour ago, PsyDGrad90 said:

Do you know what the norm is for students in your program? I would try to ask current students what they have done and how much work each course requires a week so that you can figure out how much time you need to devote to coursework on top of research and other responsibilities. 

Thanks! I have known some people take three at a time, but current students I have talked about it are against taking three per semester and recommend taking two. The thing about the courses are that we don't have core classes, but rather we have tracks and each track has classes you can take.

I would probably follow the advice of current students. If anything, you can register for 2 classes for fall and if you feel like you can handle another, you can do 3 in the spring semester. 

Side note: it's really interesting how different fields/programs operate. In my program (and what appears to be the norm in my field), we have a set curriculum: year 1 fall, these 4 classes: year 1 spring, these 4 classes, etc.