To decide between schools!!!

skumari

To decide between schools  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Hello Everyone!  I am a bit worried to decide between schools. My background is computational chemistry and computational material science and I been accepted into the following schools : I am a bit distressed about what to choose. Can you please help me out here? Any kind of help would be very appreciated! :) :)  Thank you so much in advance! 

• UCLA-Chemical Engineering
    • EPFL-Chemistry and chemical engineering
    • Oxford-Chemistry (still waiting for funding )

Hello Everyone! 

I am a bit worried to decide between schools. My background is computational chemistry and computational material science and I been accepted into the following schools :

1) UCLA-Chemical Engineering

2) EPFL-Chemistry and chemical engineering

3) Oxford-Chemistry (still waiting for funding )

I am a bit distressed about what to choose. Can you please help me out here? Any kind of help would be very appreciated! :):)

Thank you so much in advance! 

Edited by skumari

Well unless you are certain that you will get funding from Oxford, I would immediately remove that from your list when you have other fully funded options. The other two are in two different countries so if you've decided that the research, reputation, and quality of people are the same, I would make the decision based on what country you would like to spend time in. 

Yes, I understand what you say..location really doesn't matter to me as long as I have some friends to hang out with. The professor and research in the group which has accepted me in UCLA is really flourishing and so I am more inclined to UCLA in that sense but on the other hand, the stipend in UCLA is the bare minimum and in EPFL they really give you more than enough. I am also looking at the job prospects after I do a Ph.D. from either UCLA or EPFL. I think that UCLA would have more job aspects but I am still not sure about this. Reputation wise I think both are the same. So, if anyone can help me figure out the other things it would be really helpful. 

7 hours ago, crackademik said:

Well unless you are certain that you will get funding from Oxford, I would immediately remove that from your list when you have other fully funded options. The other two are in two different countries so if you've decided that the research, reputation, and quality of people are the same, I would make the decision based on what country you would like to spend time in. 

I would prefer UCLA over EPFL, but mostly because I like the US style of life more than Swiss one :) And I believe you'll get more scientific connections in the US. It may take more time to complete your PhD there though.

But if you love skiing, definitely go for Lausanne *_* 

Just now, xrayspectra said:

I would prefer UCLA over EPFL, but mostly because I like the US style of life more than Swiss one :) And I believe you'll get more scientific connections in the US. It may take more time to complete your PhD there though.

But if you love skiing, definitely go for Lausanne *_* 

+ Prices here in Switzerland are insane, so not sure if the scholarships are comparable :) Unless you'll live on the French side and drive 1h to and back every day.

11 hours ago, xrayspectra said:

+ Prices here in Switzerland are insane, so not sure if the scholarships are comparable :) Unless you'll live on the French side and drive 1h to and back every day.

Yes I understand your point. Have been living in Swiss for a year now so know the living costs. But isnt LA a bit expensive too. They are giving me 31k/year :( But the prof there is pretty awsm I really like his work.