Need opinions ASAP!

A friend of mine is visiting her old college which I have applied to for their speech graduate program. She suggested I accompany her to the campus. Friends of mine believe that showing up at the communications department would improve my chances of acceptance into the program. I believe this stunt can go in two different directions. I fear that it may do more harm than good to show up unannounced. I also believe putting a face to my name reiterates my interest in the program and will help the committee recall my interview clearer. What are some opinions on visiting the department without invitation? 

Edited by SLPstudent1996
Grammar

Truthfully, I don’t think it’ll affect anything at all. At most, yes, they might remember you and your interest in the program but they wouldn’t put you ahead of other students will excellent qualifications. Nothing to gain, nothing to lose. You should just go but if possible email them to ask if you may speak to someone about the program (that is assuming you don’t know everything about it)

I think it's a great idea to visit the department - it shows interest in the school and can work in your favor but I would not turn up unannounced unless they have an open door policy where they welcome students visiting to meet them at anytime. If they don't I would make an appointment first.