Francis Marion Interview

Does anyone have any insight on the interview? You don’t have to give specific questions but I’m worried because it’s a relatively short interview. 

I was hoping to find out some information too! I don't know if I should be more or less nervous because of the short interview time. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JordanBroz said:

Hello! Has anyone been interviewed yet? My interview is coming up and I wanted to know if anyone had any info on the process...thanks!

I was hoping for an earlier interview but unfortunately I couldn’t schedule until next Monday. Hoping someone who has a interview scheduled this week sees this and offers us some insight before our respective interviews! Best of luck to you! 

Hi everyone! 

I just finished my interview and it was very relaxed, I would say the overall feeling/vibe is that they are just trying to get to know you. 

2 scenario questions and then you can ask questions. 

Good luck to us all! ??

16 minutes ago, nguyen16041 said:

Hi everyone! 

I just finished my interview and it was very relaxed, I would say the overall feeling/vibe is that they are just trying to get to know you. 

2 scenario questions and then you can ask questions. 

Good luck to us all! ??

Thank you SO MUCH!! This definitely makes me feel less worried! ? Out of curiosity did they mention how long you could expect to hear a decision? 

9 minutes ago, VS-SLP2B said:

Thank you SO MUCH!! This definitely makes me feel less worried! ? Out of curiosity did they mention how long you could expect to hear a decision? 

I completely understand when interviews are short you have no idea what to expect lol. 

No they didn't, I should've asked! I'm sure it will be quick though, they got back to me very quickly for an interview. 

Good luck on your interview!

8 minutes ago, nguyen16041 said:

I completely understand when interviews are short you have no idea what to expect lol. 

No they didn't, I should've asked! I'm sure it will be quick though, they got back to me very quickly for an interview. 

Good luck on your interview!

I was notified for an interview quickly as well so my line of thinking is the same as yours that it’ll be quick. Fingers crossed!

Thank you!! Hopefully you’ll hear some good news from them soon! 

24 minutes ago, JordanBroz said:

Oh what a relief!! Thank you so so much!! Would you mind sharing the two scenario questions? Good luck with everything and I hope you hear back from them soon!

I don't feel comfortable with sharing the scenarios because I don't think it will be fair for the people that have already interviewed. 

But they are not complicated and it's common sense! Don't worry you got this! ???

Hi all! 

Since FMU is under candidacy for accreditation, should I be concerned with going here (if I get accepted)? I understand that every program must go through a candidacy period and that many students have graduated from programs that have yet to receive accreditation and they manage to still find jobs/etc. But, are their potential problems/concerns with programs under candidacy? 

52 minutes ago, nguyen16041 said:

Hi all! 

Since FMU is under candidacy for accreditation, should I be concerned with going here (if I get accepted)? I understand that every program must go through a candidacy period and that many students have graduated from programs that have yet to receive accreditation and they manage to still find jobs/etc. But, are their potential problems/concerns with programs under candidacy? 

I was thinking the same thing while I was applying. I’m honestly not sure if there would be potential problems or concerns but I can try and ask them at the end of my interview if I have time/remember! 

7 hours ago, VS-SLP2B said:

I was thinking the same thing while I was applying. I’m honestly not sure if there would be potential problems or concerns but I can try and ask them at the end of my interview if I have time/remember! 

Thank you! I mean it is a mandatory part of becoming an accredited, every school has to go through this stage and there are several students that graduate from new programs and have jobs. But I am still concerned, I have looked it up on ASHA and I believe we are still protected. 

One of my professors got her master's at a community college -- yes I know, I was shocked too when I first found out -- around the 80's. The community system doesn't even have BA/BS degrees anymore, let alone a master's.... BUT she has her CCC's and license... working and is teaching. 

10 hours ago, nguyen16041 said:

Thank you! I mean it is a mandatory part of becoming an accredited, every school has to go through this stage and there are several students that graduate from new programs and have jobs. But I am still concerned, I have looked it up on ASHA and I believe we are still protected. 

One of my professors got her master's at a community college -- yes I know, I was shocked too when I first found out -- around the 80's. The community system doesn't even have BA/BS degrees anymore, let alone a master's.... BUT she has her CCC's and license... working and is teaching. 

Wow that is shocking! If only it could be that easy now lol. 

I did find this old thread though:

It looks like based on this discussion we shouldn’t have any problems. 

From my understanding, attending FMU should be fine. It just means that ASHA will be watching to make sure this new program is following all of their guidelines. The candidate stage lasts for 5 years and I believe that every new program must go through this, which makes sense. For instance, something that would not be good is if the program was under probation. A program on probation is not currently in full compliance with the accreditation standards. Programs on probation remain accredited but must demonstrate compliance with the standards within one year. This had happened to LIU brooklyn MS SLP program and I'm not sure what the final result was. I hope this helped!

Thanks everyone!! This makes me feel better. I have an interview at 11 on Monday. I will update with how it goes! Good luck! 

Hey everyone! 

I had my interview today. Definitely laid back like @nguyen16041 mentioned so that’s again for that heads up! 

I was informed though that they are hoping to have decisions out by next week. Love how fast things seem to be going with them. Best of luck everyone!! 

YAY! Thank goodness it is going fast, I hate how most programs drag this process out for months. (I understand why they need to, but waiting is so draining.)

Glad to hear your interview went well! Out of curiosity, If you guys are accepted, will you accept their offer? :)

My thinking exactly! And thank you! 

I’m honestly not sure what I’ll decide if I happen to be accepted. On one hand I really want to but at the same time their out of state tuition is kind of expensive and when I asked they don’t really offer any GA/TA positions. 

46 minutes ago, VS-SLP2B said:

My thinking exactly! And thank you! 

I’m honestly not sure what I’ll decide if I happen to be accepted. On one hand I really want to but at the same time their out of state tuition is kind of expensive and when I asked they don’t really offer any GA/TA positions. 

When I googled it was around $20,000 and I was planning on applying for residency to get in-state tuition the following year. For me it's reasonable! :D

Did you get in anywhere else?