Thinking about getting into Harvard...

Eduardo

I’m currently a freshman at Loyola Chicago double majoring in Secondary Ed and History. I’m curious about graduate school and receiving a master’s in education from a top tier school. Currently my GPA is 3.3 and I am on my way towards improving it this semester. I’ve looked at various options for graduate school and have noticed that education in particular is less academically rigorous than other graduate programs across all schools. 

I’m curious. What would it take to get into Harvard’s Graduate School of Education for teaching and learning? What would you recommend a freshman to do for the next three years? If there are any alums out there who can help that would be much appreciated. 

It's too early to have a particular grad school in mind, people change drastically in college. Just focus on your grades and building a good resume. Idk what that would look like in your field but look around.

It's not too early to think about this, but I'd recommend keeping multiple schools in mind and putting finances over a "name brand" school. Based on the website, Harvard's program looks pretty expensive. If your plan is to teach children, I see no reason to get an expensive degree from a fancy school. Your Master's will offer you the same pay increase whether you get it from Harvard or the University of Arkansas, and it's not like the job market for high school teachers is competitive.

Also, keep in mind that a school's undergrad reputation =/= its grad reputation. I don't know about Harvard, but there are Ivy Leagues out there with Master's programs that are essentially cash cows (i.e. they aren't competitive to get into and they're very pricey). Some of Columbia's programs have this reputation, for example.

Anyway, in the meantime I'd recommend getting tutoring experience where you can. Consider volunteering at your university's writing center. That will make you more competitive for the program and fellowships. I know this answer isn't as tailored as you wanted, but I hope it's helpful!

Identify graduate students and professors at your university's school of education. Visit them during office hours (or schedule appointments), and ask them what they did to get where they are now.

Is there a difference between a master's degree in education from Harvard and the University of Arkansas when it comes to compensation? Both institutions offer data that allow one to assess the validity of that comment.