Which ranks high for you? Higher Phd Stipend or quality of program?

t.gentle

Hi all,

I am torn between two programs who both offered me Phd programs. I was offered a Phd in Biological Engineering which is the program I actually want to do but the stipend is much less than that for the PhD in Environmental Studies that I was given at a different school. My question is: what ranks higher when choosing a PhD program and why? Is it the stipend amount? The job prospects? The ranking of the school or program? The quality of research? Thank you

Does that better stipend really translate into more money on your pocket by the end of the month? If location #2 pays more but the city is way more expensive than #1, it doesn't make much difference in the end.

For me, money does matter, and the calculations I did to see if the stipend is good enough for me was: after paying for my fixed monthly expenses (rent, decent food, phone bills, fees, etc.,) will I have at least $500? If yes, then it is good enough for me.

But if it was me, I would go to my dream program even if the stipend is lower (considering it is a decent offer, of course) because I'm certain that I would spend quite some time thinking "What if I had gone there...?"