No news -- what to do?

Ever since I was accepted, I heard little to no news from the school. They didnt even send me a proper funding package. I expressed my interest to attend and now I am worried that it will turn out unpleasant. Is it possible for schools to withdraw their offer?

4 hours ago, dartdoc said:

Ever since I was accepted, I heard little to no news from the school. They didnt even send me a proper funding package. I expressed my interest to attend and now I am worried that it will turn out unpleasant. Is it possible for schools to withdraw their offer?

Did you accept through the portal?

April/May tend to be quiet times for universities because they're focused on dissertations and exams. It's likely that you'll start to hear from them in June/July to talk about your orientation. It is unlikely that they'll withdraw your offer.

Am I correct to assume you accepted a spot via email? You should have received an official acceptance letter from the graduate school through the portal, which gives you guidelines to confirm your place. If you did not receive it or are not sure, contact the DGS (and if you do not get a response, the graduate school) immediately. I would find it very odd and shocking that a department would not follow through with an acceptance, so it is likely just a misunderstanding or bureaucracy, but I'd make sure just in case.

17 hours ago, WildeThing said:

Am I correct to assume you accepted a spot via email? You should have received an official acceptance letter from the graduate school through the portal, which gives you guidelines to confirm your place. If you did not receive it or are not sure, contact the DGS (and if you do not get a response, the graduate school) immediately. I would find it very odd and shocking that a department would not follow through with an acceptance, so it is likely just a misunderstanding or bureaucracy, but I'd make sure just in case.

I already emailed and called them multiple times about this and they just told me that everything is okay or did not respond. I am also alarmed and confused by this.. There was one official form that I signed but that was it. I hate bureaucracy and I have this feeling that I will continue to suffer with it even when I do get accepted...

If you signed an official form I assume that is fine. You have a copy of a form stating your acceptance and terms and assuming it is signed by them it is binding, I believe. I’m assuming it is the portal acceptance Warelin and I were talking about, in which case you have nothing to worry about. If you are unsure feel free to PM if you want someone to look at it. 

As for bureaucracy, all universities have this problem in my experience. Some will be better than others, but even simple things can take a while to resolve. For instance, it took weeks to have a typo corrected on a transcript because the process involved multiple people in different departments for some reason. I wouldn’t worry about it too much.