Hi! If anyone is currently in the Speech@Emerson online program.

I would like to know:

How is the online course work? Is it more work than an in person Graduate Speech program?

Do you have to read and reply to posts every week?

How is your experience with the in-person clinical fieldwork in your community and how is it determined?

Thank you!

Edited by SpeechGradFuture28
Typo

• 3 weeks later...

I just started my prerequisites within the Speech@Emerson program, and I've been happy so far.  I can't speak to relating it to other grad programs.  

My current class is designed on an "upside-down" model (and I think that may be how the whole program is, but I'm not sure), in which you complete all the coursework during the week leading up to the live interactive class.  So you read the topic notes, listen to all the lecture videos that the professor has pre-recorded (this is my favorite part! Pause! Rewind!), read the accompanying pages from the textbook, and answer review questions to prepare for the live interactive class.  For this class, there are typically questions that need to be answered at periodic points during the online coursework, so it's good to pace yourself throughout the week.  Also, there has been one assignment per week in which we build a model of certain anatomy with clay and label the parts, or draw a diagram of something, and upload a photo of it to the class platform.  During the actual class time, the facilitator breaks us into smaller groups for a portion of it so we can chat in groups of 3-5 students, clarifying things we had questions about in the material or sometimes we end up trading study tips or personal experiences/background if there's extra time.  

As for the clinical placement, there is an advisor to help place you in something within a certain distance from your home (70 mi?  Usually much closer if you live in a very populated area).  So, I think the clinical placements would be fairly similar to a student's experience who is in a traditional program.  Don't quote me on all this... I'm still a newbie.  ?

Since Speech@Emerson is so new, it may be hard to find people commenting on it on forums.  It's not even old enough to have had students graduate yet.  

Best of luck to you!  

3 hours ago, SLaurP said:

I just started my prerequisites within the Speech@Emerson program, and I've been happy so far.  I can't speak to relating it to other grad programs.  

My current class is designed on an "upside-down" model (and I think that may be how the whole program is, but I'm not sure), in which you complete all the coursework during the week leading up to the live interactive class.  So you read the topic notes, listen to all the lecture videos that the professor has pre-recorded (this is my favorite part! Pause! Rewind!), read the accompanying pages from the textbook, and answer review questions to prepare for the live interactive class.  For this class, there are typically questions that need to be answered at periodic points during the online coursework, so it's good to pace yourself throughout the week.  Also, there has been one assignment per week in which we build a model of certain anatomy with clay and label the parts, or draw a diagram of something, and upload a photo of it to the class platform.  During the actual class time, the facilitator breaks us into smaller groups for a portion of it so we can chat in groups of 3-5 students, clarifying things we had questions about in the material or sometimes we end up trading study tips or personal experiences/background if there's extra time.  

As for the clinical placement, there is an advisor to help place you in something within a certain distance from your home (70 mi?  Usually much closer if you live in a very populated area).  So, I think the clinical placements would be fairly similar to a student's experience who is in a traditional program.  Don't quote me on all this... I'm still a newbie.  ?

Since Speech@Emerson is so new, it may be hard to find people commenting on it on forums.  It's not even old enough to have had students graduate yet.  

Best of luck to you!  

Jumping into this post to say this is so helpful! I am hoping to start this program in Sept, and I also plan to do my pre reqs there. Can I ask how many hours per week would you say the classes take up--is there a lot of coursework to be done in the leadup to the interactive class? And has it been easy to interact with students during actual class time even though you are all doing it over the computer?

Thank you! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 2:22 PM, hverb85 said:

Jumping into this post to say this is so helpful! I am hoping to start this program in Sept, and I also plan to do my pre reqs there. Can I ask how many hours per week would you say the classes take up--is there a lot of coursework to be done in the leadup to the interactive class? And has it been easy to interact with students during actual class time even though you are all doing it over the computer?

Thank you! 

Late reply, but I think the amount of time you'll spend really depends on the course.  I'm almost done with "Structures" (basically A&P), and it was a reasonable amount of work.  Maybe 3-5 hours per week?  I hear that other ones like Language Development, Neurology, will be more time-consuming and will require online meet-ups for some group work.   Interacting with other students during class has been easy.  Zoom is a good platform.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 9:41 AM, SLaurP said:

Late reply, but I think the amount of time you'll spend really depends on the course.  I'm almost done with "Structures" (basically A&P), and it was a reasonable amount of work.  Maybe 3-5 hours per week?  I hear that other ones like Language Development, Neurology, will be more time-consuming and will require online meet-ups for some group work.   Interacting with other students during class has been easy.  Zoom is a good platform.  

Thank you for the reply! Do you go to school full-time or part-time?

On 6/20/2019 at 1:53 PM, SpeechGradFuture28 said:

Thank you for the reply! Do you go to school full-time or part-time?

I'm going part-time and continuing to work part-time.  I do have classmates who are working full-time and doing part-time coursework.  And plenty of full-timers, and I don't know their work situations.  Once clinical placements start, it's not encouraged to try to continue working.  

Hi, everyone! I just wanted to chime in that I'll be starting the Emerson speech path online program PT this fall! I'm really excited and yet nervous at the same time. To contribute to the conversation that's been brewing, I will be continuing to work at my university position as a voice instructor while doing the program. I may take a sabbatical for one of the years (if granted - crossing fingers!), but otherwise, I'm planning on continuing to work FT during the nine months both schools are running -- as long as humanly possible. Excited to see some of you in class soon. ?

• 8 months later...

Hi all! Is Speech @ Emerson Online fully accredited by ASHA? I'm looking at the online accreditation on ASHA's website and it seems to have ended its accreditation in June 2019... Does anyone know about this? I know the in-person is currently accredited, but not the online according to ASHA's website. I thought it was weird since Emerson's website states that the online program is fully accredited. If anyone knows anything, I'd appreciate it!

• 6 months later...

I got this off of ASHAs website today. It says they are still accredited. even the distance learning.  I am looking into their distance master program for SLP. Any updates on how it is?

Emerson College

Accredited

Master's in Speech-Language Pathology (MS)

Accreditation Information

Accreditation History
Accredited: 4/1981-Present

Current Cycle
2014-2022
Next Review

Additional Modalities

Distance Education
8/2018-Present