Has OGS been cut back?

displaynamesarehard

Hi everyone! I just found out I was awarded OGS (yay!) but my friends who all had it last year were all waitlisted. I know that the government delayed confirming how many awards each school had and was just wondering if anyone heard about the number of awards being cut back this year?

18 hours ago, displaynamesarehard said:

I have heard of 5 people just in my program being waitlisted (and there’s 6 graduate programs in my department). That just seems like a weirdly high amount of waitlists to me...

Maybe they'll wake up one morning and say "whoops! We forgot to send half the awards!" ?

On 5/9/2019 at 10:05 PM, displaynamesarehard said:

I have heard of 5 people just in my program being waitlisted (and there’s 6 graduate programs in my department). That just seems like a weirdly high amount of waitlists to me...

That doesn't seem that high really. My faculty receives 33 OGS and 7 QEII and most of my department (there are 4 departments total) gets rejected or waitlisted. It could just be that there was a more competitive pool of applicants this year. 

• 3 weeks later...

I applied for OGS this year as an incoming domestic Masters applicant and got rejected ?? Fingers crossed for QEII, but I'm surprised that it seems so competitive.

3 hours ago, pocopoco said:

I applied for OGS this year as an incoming domestic Masters applicant and got rejected ?? Fingers crossed for QEII, but I'm surprised that it seems so competitive.

I'm sorry to hear that! Just wondering, which school was this at? I'm waiting on word from UofT now that the unit deadline has passed; I'm not very optimistic since I haven't heard anything from my unit, but I'm taking solace in the fact that they're notoriously disorganized and uncommunicative.

Thank God. I’m off the waitlist. I had adjusted to the idea that I wouldn’t get it, so I got to feel the rush of a pleasant surprise. Going to shoot high next round... Good luck to everyone who wasn’t so lucky this round, in this competition and others. Next time.

Still waiting to hear from my unit at UofT. ? I assumed that I was just not successful, but my unit confirmed a week ago that all applicants would be notified of success or rejection this week, which is now ticking to a close. I find it puzzling how erratic OGS results schedules are, where some schools already announced a month+ ago.

Edited by angrycrustacean

On 6/4/2019 at 10:04 AM, angrycrustacean said:

I'm sorry to hear that! Just wondering, which school was this at? I'm waiting on word from UofT now that the unit deadline has passed; I'm not very optimistic since I haven't heard anything from my unit, but I'm taking solace in the fact that they're notoriously disorganized and uncommunicative.

Oops, sorry for the late reply - I applied at UofT Computer Science. Thankfully my funding package is enough for sustenance, but the extra money would have been nice :~)