Psych PhD Vs Clinical

JVoN

Hi all, 

This may be a silly questions but I can't find anything absolutely concrete and clear online. Recently, I've been getting more and more interested in "non clinical" psych phd programs (and want to apply to alot more schools/programs than I did first cycle)-- but I wasnt sure if being a licensed psychologist was still possible without completing a clinical psychology phd program? 

Any insight would be so helpful!

If you go for a non-clinical psych or non-counseling psych PhD, you are not eligible for licensure as a psychologist. There are respecialization programs, but they are costly and don't have the best reputation. Argosy was the biggest name in respecialization, so I wouldn't count on that as an alternate route option. If you feel like you may want the clinical license in the future, I would go for an APA accredited clinical psych or counseling psych program. APA accreditation is important because you cannot apply for internships through APPIC if you are not coming from an APA accredited program. This means you will have to jump through 6 million more hoops (on top of the hoops everyone else has to jump through) in order to gain licensure. 

18 hours ago, PsyDGrad90 said:

If you go for a non-clinical psych or non-counseling psych PhD, you are not eligible for licensure as a psychologist. There are respecialization programs, but they are costly and don't have the best reputation. Argosy was the biggest name in respecialization, so I wouldn't count on that as an alternate route option. If you feel like you may want the clinical license in the future, I would go for an APA accredited clinical psych or counseling psych program. APA accreditation is important because you cannot apply for internships through APPIC if you are not coming from an APA accredited program. This means you will have to jump through 6 million more hoops (on top of the hoops everyone else has to jump through) in order to gain licensure. 

20 hours ago, McMurphy said:

If you want to practice, you will need to attend a (hopefully APA accredited) clinical or counseling program. 

Great, thank you both so much for your insight :)!