Journal articles?

Hi everyone,

I've been out of school for a while and am looking to brush up on recent scholarship in my field over the summer.  It seems like recent journal articles are the best way to do that, but I have no idea how to access them before I get access to a university library.  Does anyone know any way to get articles before the fall semester starts?  Thanks!

45 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Most, if not all, public libraries should allow you to access databases that they have a subscription to.

In addition to this, I have also had great success emailing scholars to ask for PDF's of a specific article of theirs. If you explain your situation and your interest in their work, it usually comes off great. I have done this a handful of times, mostly with scholars earlier in their career. Plus, if gives you a chance to network a small amount with these folks. Someone feel free to add to this or correct me if they think this is a faux pas!

• 1 month later...

I second this:

On 5/23/2019 at 11:11 AM, illcounsel said:

I have also had great success emailing scholars to ask for PDF's of a specific article of theirs.

But also if you don't want to do awkward emailing, I've had great success getting articles from Academia.edu. Sometimes people just post pdfs but other times you can send a quick pregenerated response requesting them. I'm at a university but sometimes I don't have access and don't want to bother with interlibrary loans.