Working full-time while doing MSW?

Rwww

Hi all!

I plan to apply to MSW programs in NYC for Fall 2020. My plan was always to attend grad school full time, but the reality has settled in that I can't afford to not work for two years while in school (shocker!). Has anyone done an MSW program full-time and also worked at least part time? I need to pay rent somehow, but I also don't want it to get in the way of my school plans.

Thanks!

Depends on the school you're going to really. I am planning on attending Hunter come this August and doing full time. While I live with my parents, I intend to work part-time as well or apply for the Work Study and do that because I have expenses and I cannot afford to not work as well. I definitely think it is possible as long as you manage your time well. My friend, who just graduated from Hunter, was full time, and worked part time the whole two years AND has a robust social life! And her commute was like 1-2 hrs one way. While graduate programs are a lot of work, time management and organization is the key to making it all work, I believe. Plus if my friend could do it, and graduate with a 4.0 GPA, I feel like I should try it. As long as you know your limit, go for it! 

I think a big part of it is whether the school will let you do a field placement at your current employer, because field placements are not usually available outside of work hours. This means, of course, that it's probably impossible to work full time while getting an MSW if you work somewhere completely unrelated to social services.

On 5/29/2019 at 2:45 PM, Rwww said:

Hi all!

I plan to apply to MSW programs in NYC for Fall 2020. My plan was always to attend grad school full time, but the reality has settled in that I can't afford to not work for two years while in school (shocker!). Has anyone done an MSW program full-time and also worked at least part time? I need to pay rent somehow, but I also don't want it to get in the way of my school plans.

Thanks!

I don't have any advice on whether it is possible to work full time while doing an MSW, never having done it, but as for the "paying rent somehow" - a lot of people take out loans to cover rent and other living expenses. This is probably what I'm gonna end up doing, in addition to working part time. It's not ideal, but I want this degree, lol.

On 6/3/2019 at 1:00 AM, doctormelody said:

I don't have any advice on whether it is possible to work full time while doing an MSW, never having done it, but as for the "paying rent somehow" - a lot of people take out loans to cover rent and other living expenses. This is probably what I'm gonna end up doing, in addition to working part time. It's not ideal, but I want this degree, lol.

Hi there. I'd advise everyone to be very careful about taking out extra loans. There is a reason why student loan debt is all over the news and has even become a platform for politicians. Social workers don't make a lot of money, especially when we first come out of school. Trying to manage a meager salary and paying back thousands of dollars worth of loans at the same time can be not only overwhelming, but long lasting. You can only deffer for so long before the lenders are after you. Plus, the debt can work against your credit history. i speak from experience.

On 5/29/2019 at 8:45 AM, Rwww said:

Hi all!

Thanks!

I did it, but it was a struggle because of the practicums being during the day. I tried to find an evening/weekend job, but those are hard to come by in my area since the cost of living is so high that people with day jobs are also looking for night/weekend gigs. I ended up asking my parents for help which was embarrassing at my age (over 30), but I didn't want to take out more loans. Are you moving to NYC for school or do you already live there? If you're not already a resident, I'd advise against going to school in such an expensive area when you don't have the ability to work full time. I did this and it was probably the biggest mistake I made in terms of my MSW experience.   

On 6/6/2019 at 4:04 PM, Enyo said:

Hi there. I'd advise everyone to be very careful about taking out extra loans. There is a reason why student loan debt is all over the news and has even become a platform for politicians. Social workers don't make a lot of money, especially when we first come out of school. Trying to manage a meager salary and paying back thousands of dollars worth of loans at the same time can be not only overwhelming, but long lasting. You can only deffer for so long before the lenders are after you. Plus, the debt can work against your credit history. i speak from experience.

I did it, but it was a struggle because of the practicums being during the day. I tried to find an evening/weekend job, but those are hard to come by in my area since the cost of living is so high that people with day jobs are also looking for night/weekend gigs. I ended up asking my parents for help which was embarrassing at my age (over 30), but I didn't want to take out more loans. Are you moving to NYC for school or do you already live there? If you're not already a resident, I'd advise against going to school in such an expensive area when you don't have the ability to work full time. I did this and it was probably the biggest mistake I made in terms of my MSW experience.   

I have no choice but thanks for the warning. I’m very aware of the risks.