Insurance, successful parents, and the fafsa

I'm applying for fafsa for a phd I'm starting this fall, and am planning on filing as an independent. The only thing I am nervous about is that I am planning on staying under their insurance, but I am under the impression that this is not an issue.

I am also wondering about entering their demographics. While I'm living on my own dime, my parents are fairly well off and very educated (mom masters and dad PsyD), so I am wondering if this could somehow hurt my aid offerings?

Hey! 

My parents aren't as educated / successful as yours, and I still did not receive financial aid like in undergrad. I was approved for large loans (40k+), but any free money offered to me came directly from universities as tuition awards or stipends for being a grad assistant. I hope my sotuation is unique and others received FAFSA funds... but I've had a couple friends say similar things.

I think you'll be fine! The FAFSA lets you file as independent if you're over 24 years old or entering a graduate program. So they shouldn't impact you! Your expected family contribution will be based on your salary from the previous tax year

22 hours ago, Rickey Henderson said:

I'm applying for fafsa for a phd I'm starting this fall, and am planning on filing as an independent. The only thing I am nervous about is that I am planning on staying under their insurance, but I am under the impression that this is not an issue.

I am also wondering about entering their demographics. While I'm living on my own dime, my parents are fairly well off and very educated (mom masters and dad PsyD), so I am wondering if this could somehow hurt my aid offerings?

I think you’re right that being on their insurance won’t be an issue. 

If I remember correctly though putting in any type of information about your parents is completely optional if you file as an independent so you might be able to just skip it altogether