Funding - Canadian Applying to an American Clinical Psychology PhD?

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question about funding. Here in Canada, you get funding either through 1) funding by simply admission / supervisor grant, 2) as a TA for the school, and 3) write a proposal for a grant for CGS-M, Vanier, etc.

Here in Canada, PhD applicants are expected to apply for grant funding along with their application. You aren't competitive without an application.

I've heard American PhD are fully funded. Because of this difference, do applications for US schools still expect students to apply for grants to be competitive? If so, what are the major grant organizations for clinical psychology-related funding? In Canada, it is centralized, so we really just write one application and that's it. Are there multiple for US schools?

You are not expected to find funding on your own prior to admission. However, if you do, then you are definitely more competitive because they don't have to worry about if the school has the funds to support you. There is no centralized system. You have to apply to things individually. NSF is one of the bigger ones I can think of off the top of my head, but I don't know if there are any restrictions on citizenship for that one. 

1 hour ago, PsyDGrad90 said:

You are not expected to find funding on your own prior to admission. However, if you do, then you are definitely more competitive because they don't have to worry about if the school has the funds to support you. There is no centralized system. You have to apply to things individually. NSF is one of the bigger ones I can think of off the top of my head, but I don't know if there are any restrictions on citizenship for that one. 

Canadians aren't eligible for NSF. Basically, the only hope of external funding we can bring are the foreign CIHR one and I think a SSHRC that can be held outside of Canada. Fulbright is also an option to apply for. There's probably a few more area-specific funding things that aren't tied to a certain citizenship.

External funding is rare in the states whereas its kind of essential here, but it definitely helps as mentioned^  

My understanding is that it’s not nearly as common in the US.

The CGS-M is not tenable in the US, but the tri-council Doctoral Fellowships (only the $20k ones, I think, but I could be wrong) can be held outside Canada. Applying for the doctoral competition would likely be an impressive addition to your application, even if it isn’t expected. 

• 1 month later...