Undergrad major in public health science, 5 years of biology research yet applying to clin psy PhD?

episome1996

Hi all,

I've finally made the decision on whether I want to pursue a PhD in molecular biology or clinical psychology. The decision is without a doubt clinical psychology. The problem is that my major is very science heavy, I'm taking my first psychology course this summer and all of my research is in cell biology. I'm currently volunteering as a friendly visitor for elders in my area and as a crisis text line responder. some other things about me include that I went to UMD, was commencement speaker, president of a local nonprofit, multiple research posters and awards, currently a post-bac at the NIH and have a current cumGPA of 3.1. Struggled with some mental health issues early on in college but after going on meds I made dean's list every semester with a GPA above 3.6 and have gotten A's in every course I've taken since I've graduated so I show a strong upward trend. My GRE is Q: 156 V: 157 W: 5.0. I have incredibly strong letters of rec from PIs that are known in the field of molecular biology. Am I still going to make it in clinical psychology PhD programs this cycle if I apply this fall with my current credentials and take a psychopathology course this fall? 

Thanks. 

Your NIH post-bacc seems pretty desirable, I know a lot of clin science programs are embracing people with bio backgrounds bc of the need for translational research. I think your grades are a bigger problem than your major; that said, there's definite strengths and weaknesses to your application. 'Marketing' yourself effectively in light of this, and finding a strong research fit might make the difference between being admitted or not in your case. If you find a PI who's doing really biological work, your background might overshadow weaker grades/coursework--who knows, admissions is a guessing game after all. 

Edited by higaisha

How do you know you want to do clinical psychology if you haven’t done psych research or even taken a psychology class? 

That’s something to think about when you apply. You’re going to need a strong argument to convince PIs that you’re committed to and understand the field. If you can relate your research to psychology somehow, this might be easier. 

It won’t hurt to apply if you can afford it, but my first inclination is to wait. You’ll be competing against hundreds of people with perfect GPAs and years of psychology experience. If you take a few more psych classes (especially research methods and stats) and get relevant research experience before applying, you’ll be a lot more likely to get into a good program.