Workflow Preparation for Graduate School

eggs.pdf

Hello! 

I'm starting grad school in the Fall, and I could use some tips on getting my thoughts organized as I've been out of school for four years. I would like to go in as prepared as possible in terms of reviewing my notes and preparing an organization system so that I begin my work smoothly. I'm fortunate enough to have the next two months mostly free and would really like to maximize my free time to prepare for my PhD.

I'm currently reviewing my notes from undergrad, reading my advisor's/relevant people's work, and reading a textbook recommended to me by my advisor as a refresher. I'm organizing all of these documents using Zotero so that I can get the hang of the program. I'm also learning how to use LaTeX and OneNote.

Are there any other steps I can take to minimize the amount of "oh shit, I wish I did this when I had all that free time!" moments I encounter in the first few months? I know a lot this will come to me as I begin working, but if there's anything I'm missing/any programs you really benefitted from in your roster that can be set up prior to the school year/any general preparation tips, please let me know. I'll be entering a psych research PhD, if that helps narrow down any field-specific programs.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, eggs.pdf said:

Are there any other steps I can take to minimize the amount of "oh shit, I wish I did this when I had all that free time!" moments I encounter in the first few months? I know a lot this will come to me as I begin working, but if there's anything I'm missing/any programs you really benefitted from in your roster that can be set up prior to the school year/any general preparation tips, please let me know. I'll be entering a psych research PhD, if that helps narrow down any field-specific programs.

From what you described, I would say you have done more than enough to get ready for grad school. The only thing I can think of is getting the paperwork ready for your studies, especially the ones where you need to recruit participants (if your advisor hasn't done so). If the paperwork is there, it would be good to start recruiting, as it takes time to get the numbers. 

Otherwise, please spend more of your free time to do something you enjoy, e.g. plan a good trip, as life gets busy and stressful once you start. It's rare to have a 2-month break! 

Take it easy. You will get there. 

It's actually pretty hard to plan this out in advance, as you often have to test out any system that you plan and sometimes the system you select ahead of time doesn't really work for you. Learning how to use Zotero and OneNote ahead of time are good tasks so you're not wasting brain power doing that mid-stream. You may want to check out other reference managers to make sure Zotero is the one you want to go with (Mendeley is a common favorite). I'm not sure that LaTeX is necessary, although it depends on your work style and also what field you're in. (I have a PhD in psychology and did not find it useful.)

I'll actually go out on a limb and say that you might want to spend this free time just relaxing and doing some fun stuff. Your time is about to become greatly constrained, and graduate school can be a very stressful experience. When you look back, I'm willing to bet you'll be more likely to regret not enjoying yourself in your last months before graduate school than you are to regret picking up some small skill that can be easily picked up in graduate school.

• 1 month later...

Wow, this is my exact situation! I am also starting grad school this Fall and have been our of school since 2015 working full time. I have this month off and have been re-teaching myself some areas that I've been rusty in. But I agree with the other posters, it sounds like you're doing everything already...and it's important we also enjoy what time we have before things get hectic :).

A good suggestion was if you know the kind of research you will be doing, prepping (even very preliminary) REB, or if you are applying for funding/scholarships then working on your ccv (if applicable). 

The other suggestion about ref softeware is great actually. I should probably do that...

Also if you are lucky to know ahead of time if a course requires specific textbooks, maybe now is a good time to look into purchasing.

Above all else, try to enjoy the time off!

On 1/27/2019 at 2:49 PM, eggs.pdf said:

I'm his only chosen candidate, his candidate last year accepted an offer elsewhere, and he's only working with one PhD student who is in their fourth year. He's also expressed that he'd be "thrilled" to work with me[.]

On 7/3/2019 at 12:20 PM, eggs.pdf said:

reading my advisor's/relevant people's work, and reading a textbook recommended to me by my advisor as a refresher. I'm organizing all of these documents using Zotero so that I can get the hang of the program. I'm also learning how to use LaTeX and OneNote.

I recommend that you stay with the activities you described above with one modification: study your advisor's work, don't just read it.

11 minutes ago, chrisy159 said:

I am also starting grad school this Fall and have been our of school since 2015 working full time.

A challenge you may encounter is making the transition from hoop jumping at work to hoop jumping in the Ivory Tower as a graduate student. You will likely find yourself in situations that are counter intuitive, counterproductive,  nonsensical, frustrating, if not also idiotic and insulting. You might benefit by preparing a basic set of tools for dealing with such events--ideally, the basic tools will not include practices that undermine your performance (e.g. excessive drinking).

You may find useful information in threads in this forum and your specific discipline devoted to the background and experiences of non traditional students.

Just now, Sigaba said:

I recommend that you stay with the activities you described above with one modification: study your advisor's work, don't just read it.

A challenge you may encounter is making the transition from hoop jumping at work to hoop jumping in the Ivory Tower as a graduate student. You will likely find yourself in situations that are counter intuitive, counterproductive,  nonsensical, frustrating, if not also idiotic and insulting. You might benefit by preparing a basic set of tools for dealing with such events--ideally, the basic tools will not include practices that undermine your performance (e.g. excessive drinking).

You may find useful information in threads in this forum and your specific discipline devoted to the background and experiences of non traditional students.

You raise a really helpful and important point. I have been weary returning aside from the mentality of school, being surrounded by brilliant minds, and just all around rusty with all things written, for some of those reasons as well. The academic game we have to play can be silly and redundant when I recall my undergrad...and I'm sure being out of school and going into grad school doesn't help much with that in some ways. So that's great advice, thank you!