Psychology Masters ONLINE Advice

alinamum

Hey everyone, I'm currently seeking to continue my education in the field of psychology! I have a few different avenues in mind for my Masters (psychotherapy, clinical psych, child psych, etc.) and am curious if anyone has recommendations on an online program that is NOT from a solely online university (ex. Capella University, etc.). 

Please let me know if you have any advice! Thank you in advance for the help! 

An online masters is psych is usually frowned upon. Research is a big component in the field, and you can't do that through an online school. Also, getting any sort of practicums will be more difficult because the school will have limited resources to help you. If it's a clinically based program, then you can't really teach and practice the clinical skills as effectively in an online environment. 

Also, what kind of program are you looking for? Are you interested in a master's level clinical licensure? Are you looking for an experimental psych program to boost your competitiveness for PhDs?

Hey, thank you! Unfortunately, I have to attend online as I have a little infant at home and my husband's job requires us to move every two years. Trust me, I wish I didn't have to do it online! I'm looking for something that would potentially set me up for a PsyD and also garner me some career opportunities once completed. Thank you for your feedback!

Like PsyDgrad pointed out, if you are interested in a clinically focused career and subsequently a clinically focused degree, an online program would not suffice. 

What do you mean that you want it to "set you up" for a PsyD? Masters degrees arent required for doctoral programs, though they're sometimes recommended to boost your application (though I'm sorry to say an online masters is not likely to boost your application in any substantial way, and may actually be a detriment to your application. Online degrees in our field are not looked upon fondly). A reputable in person masters degree can be good if you had a poor undergraduate GPA, but otherwise, you can gain experience through other means (volunteer or paid research assistant, for example).

Interesting to know! Thank you for the feedback. So you would suggest skipping the Masters Degree and heading straight into a doctorate program? I had a very nice undergraduate GPA (3.8), but I guess I feel that I don't make a great candidate for a doctorate program due to my general inexperience.

Here's a bit of info about myself:

B.A. History (2013)

Polish Certification (2013)

B.S. Psychology (2017)

I worked as an English teacher in Tokyo for a few years, as an Engineering Assistant (I know, totally not in my lines of study), and in clerical positions.

I'm really interested in how I can make myself a better applicant for the doctorate programs. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

In general, you'll want to have research experience (definitely for PhD programs, and it helps for the more reputable PsyD programs), good GRE scores (aim for 320+), 3 strong letters of recommendation from psychology or related faculty, and a good undergraduate GPA.

If counseling or per clinical work is the long term goal, there are good online MSW programs you can look into. Online Psyd are also not good if you are somehow thinking you’ll do your doctorate online, though I understand the needs driven by your family life.