Denied because of sexual orientation?

I'm in my senior at Texas Woman's University. My current degree is in Health Studies. The original track was to go for Occupational Therapy, but I feel my passion is closer to Speech-Language Pathology. 2 of the 6 schools I'm applying to are Christian (Baylor University and Abilene Christian University). I currently reside in Dallas, TX with my wife and son. So, I wanted at least 3 programs that were close to home. Before I decide to fill out their applications, I was wondering if it were possible to be denied because of my sexual orientation.

As a lesbian, my wife and I do attend church and have a strong relationship with God. I asked my wife if she thought it was possible and she said how would they found out? My thoughts would be listing her as an emergency contact and financial aid.

Any thoughts? Should this be something I ask the school?

Looks like ACU updated their policy recently here, which says they welcome students with differing viewpoints, lifestyles, etc. that disagree with their own. Baylor’s policy makes it sound like they might reject a student in the LGBTQ community, however, I don’t think that’s the case based on this article (seems like recognition is a big problem, but maybe not rejection). Hope it all works out for you!

24 minutes ago, Rezzy S. said:

Looks like ACU updated their policy recently here, which says they welcome students with differing viewpoints, lifestyles, etc. that disagree with their own. Baylor’s policy makes it sound like they might reject a student in the LGBTQ community, however, I don’t think that’s the case based on this article (seems like recognition is a big problem, but maybe not rejection). Hope it all works out for you!

Thank you. I didn't realize they had an article out about their policy. Regardless of their change of policy, I don't think I want to attend a college that doesn't accept ALL of me. It's not worth me going into debt for. 

Have you considered applying at UT Dallas, or OU? Norman isn't too far from Dallas.  I really don't think there would be an issue with admissions at any of these schools.

I have, but I've leaned more towards online schools. I will be working full time because my wife has entered her Ph.D. program and cant work. So we need my income

Baylor tends to prefer their own graduates and they do appear a bit more 'buttoned up' for a lack of a better term.  I don't think they would not accept you based on that, but I feel like its isn't a super diverse school in terms of lifestyles.  That is just an outsiders perspective based on my classmates that came from Baylor who were all incredibly nice.  Just kind of all seemed the same lol.  At UTD I had classmates that were L&G it didn't phase anyone.  I think most teachers didn't know about a few people but would have been respectful and welcoming to any lifestyle.  They are there to teach not to push any outside agendas/beliefs :D.  Many students were Christian so that would be something you would have in common with other students!  Private schools are another bag though, yah never know!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2019 at 8:16 AM, BlackGirlSLP said:

I have, but I've leaned more towards online schools. I will be working full time because my wife has entered her Ph.D. program and cant work. So we need my income

Girl. Stick with TWU. In Cycle 10 we have 3 out and proud L and G people! No one blinked an eye. 2 are gay males- one legally married to his husband and I think the other one is not married but VERY committed- his SIL is in the program as well. We have one girl who is VERY proudly lesbian and legally married- her wife just started her graduate program as well. Like NO one has said anything to them and they are respected as humans. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2019 at 8:00 PM, MH13 said:

Girl. Stick with TWU. In Cycle 10 we have 3 out and proud L and G people! No one blinked an eye. 2 are gay males- one legally married to his husband and I think the other one is not married but VERY committed- his SIL is in the program as well. We have one girl who is VERY proudly lesbian and legally married- her wife just started her graduate program as well. Like NO one has said anything to them and they are respected as humans. 

I've heard that TWU's SLP program is really competitive. I do plan to apply, but I don't think I will get in. I currently go to TWU as an undergrad.