Please Help !! Applying to Grad Programs for the Second time

Hello All ! 

So I am applying to graduate schools for the second time. 

My overall GPA is a 3.0 but my Major Communication Disorders GPA is a 3.4.

I retook the GRE and improved my scores to V : 153 , Q: 155 , Writing 3.5. Should I retake them again ??

Can anybody share what they did to improve their applications ? Or does anybody recommend another program besides speech ? I really want to go into speech but I do not want to spend too much time being out of school. Also does anybody know if turning in applications very early had any impact on decisions ?

It took me three application cycles to become accepted into graduate school! Maybe you can take time to volunteer or work in areas related to the field. I volunteered at an integrated preschool that worked with typically developing children and children with autism and down syndrome. I also got more letters of recommendation to try and make me stand out. Take time to improve your application. Feel free to PM me!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the advice above. While you can change your GRE's if desired, grades aren't as flexible so do what you can to find outside volunteer opportunities or get certified as an SLPA. Experience helps a lot in the application process.

It took me 3 app cycles (not 3 consecutive years)- I got in on my second try to the program I am currently attending. I wasn't able to pick up and move at the drop of a hat, so I initially only applied to where I went to undergrad, waitlisted there so I decided to work as a SLP-A in the meantime. My current program is a distance ed for the state of Tx and it's highly recommended you work as a school SLP-A while in the program as your clinic practicums during fall and spring for 2 years are at the school. I would say as a grad student who has completed my first semester of school after graduating 6 years earlier  that working as a SLPA has helped me so much because of the hands-on experience in my job. I really feel that if I didn't have the experience I do, it would have been more difficult for me. Your GRE scores look avg for most programs- I think your AW score is what the avg was for my cohort. I mean, retaking a GRE isn't a cheap solution and depending on your schools that you want to apply to, your scores may be what you need so retaking the test wouldn't be necessarily worth the money. I would also say your grades aren't a cheap fix, but depending on your programs you want to apply to, your grades may be ok or may need to be raised a bit. If that's the case, then maybe taking some hours at a community college would be the necessary boost to your average or retaking a couple of undergraduate classes that you didn't do so great in and get a better letter grade. I hate that it depends on where you want to go, but it really does. I would just say that if you're reapplying to a university, make sure your application has noticeable improvements so it's not "more of the same" from the previous application. Letters of rec and your personal letter of intent are also ways for you to shine. Good luck!!! 

Edited by MH13