Any decent low-res PhD programs out there?

I'm an assistant professor of English at a CC, and I'm interested in pursuing my PhD. It's tenure track, and my wife and I need the income, so I can't afford to give up my position to return to school. Do you know of any reputable low-res PhD English programs? My primary interest is rhet/comp, but assuming low-res doctoral programs in English are few and far between (if they exist at all), I'm open to other disciplines. 

Thanks.

What does low-res mean?

Edit: Looked it up. I have never heard of a long distance PhD in the US (you might be able to make it work in Spain, where PhDs are a bit different). I’m not sure there would be much worth in such a PhD either, in all honesty.

Edited by WildeThing

Texas Tech in Lubbock has an online (and parallel residential) PhD program in Technical Communications and Rhetoric that has does some interesting things, I hear, especially in its Technology and Culture emphasis area. Not Literature per se, but in the English department. Here: http://www.depts.ttu.edu/english/tcr/PHDTCR/default.php

The problem with it as I recall is that the online program doesn't offer funding. ?

On 7/26/2019 at 7:16 PM, WildeThing said:

What does low-res mean?

Edit: Looked it up. I have never heard of a long distance PhD in the US (you might be able to make it work in Spain, where PhDs are a bit different). I’m not sure there would be much worth in such a PhD either, in all honesty.

Not much worth? I don't follow.

15 hours ago, Bottle-o-Red said:

Texas Tech in Lubbock has an online (and parallel residential) PhD program in Technical Communications and Rhetoric that has does some interesting things, I hear, especially in its Technology and Culture emphasis area. Not Literature per se, but in the English department. Here: http://www.depts.ttu.edu/english/tcr/PHDTCR/default.php

The problem with it as I recall is that the online program doesn't offer funding. ?

Yeah, I've looked into that one. I think Old Dominion has a similar program, as well. Thanks, though.

22 hours ago, Joe Ransom said:

Not much worth? I don't follow.

PhDs generally have two functions: as a vehicle for learning about a field of interest and as a vehicle for employment. When hiring committees look at your application they will look at your thesis/published articles, but they will also look at your letters of recommendation. How effusive will a recommender be about someone they've maybe never met? How much contact will you have with your professors? What sort of connections will you form? Will anyone vouch for you? How likely is it that an online or long-distance PhD is even considered on the same level as traditional ones?

Is it worth it to basically work on your own for 5 years, possibly unfunded, for this degree? In situations where you just need the degree I can see it, but it seems like a risky bet to me. That said, I'm not familiar with online PhDs and perhaps they work differently and/or are more well-regarded than I thought.

I'm pretty sympathetic to @WildeThing's account here. I guess my question is what's the goal in getting a PhD here? If the goal is to eventually obtain a TT position at 4-year college and university, then I don't think a low-res program is going to do you much good. The job marked it notoriously difficult and with literally hundreds of applications for a position, they're looking for reasons not to hire you. In that sort of a situation, a distance PhD is apt to be immediately disqualifying. If you like your current position and hope to stay there, then I guess my question is why do you need a PhD? If you just want the letters next to your name, then sure, a low-res program might be a reasonable option (though I think you risk burnout working full time AND doing a PhD program, if you're going to take it seriously). If there's an associated pay raise at your current position with a higher degree of education, then I guess I'm more sympathetic to this approach, just make sure you don't go into debt for it and the quality of life exchanges really make sense for you.

(To piggy back on one suggestion though, a European PhD might be something to think about. European PhD's typically assume you already have a masters, last only 3 years, and essentially consist only of writing a dissertation, so most of that could be done remotely). 

In general, I agree with the other posters' trepidations about low-res programs and questions about prestige. But as a RhetComp Assistant Professor who dabbles in tech comm, I'll also say that I know multiple graduates of Texas Tech's low-res PhD who are active and serious scholars in the field. Those people have stayed in positions that they had prior to doing the PhD (one in information science, another at a CC). But Texas Tech has a lot of big name faculty and a competitive reputation in the field, so the program offers good opportunities for networking and I also think the potential for mobility into other positions. 

I'm interesting in knowing the answers to the questions posted by @Glasperlenspieler. In addition, I know people working in my university as directors of the writing center and the English support center who are simultaneously doing a PhD in Linguistics part time in the other state school (very reputable). Do you have that option?