Presenting in a Non-native Language

Could you request presenting in a language you feel comfortable? 

Could you ask that the Q&A be in the language you feel comfortable?

In that case, and assuming you are already practicing the presentation in that language, I would also have people that speak that language listen and ask questions. I think the key part will be the after-the-talk, when people want to know more about you and you want to show your work. I've done that for friends who presented in my native language but in the end the audience asked the questions in English so they were fine :P

• 3 months later...
On 7/30/2019 at 11:46 PM, AP said:

In that case, and assuming you are already practicing the presentation in that language, I would also have people that speak that language listen and ask questions. I think the key part will be the after-the-talk, when people want to know more about you and you want to show your work. I've done that for friends who presented in my native language but in the end the audience asked the questions in English so they were fine :P

Hello,

I read what you said, so interesting, I am a French-speaking student and I am really not confident with speaking in english; I applied for Ph.D in USA and now I must be ready for an potential interview, could please give me some tips?

Sincerely

On 12/8/2019 at 8:26 AM, dizope said:

Hello,

I read what you said, so interesting, I am a French-speaking student and I am really not confident with speaking in english; I applied for Ph.D in USA and now I must be ready for an potential interview, could please give me some tips?

Sincerely

My suggestion would be the same: think of questions and practice the answers. I used a lot of possible questions from this forum to practice (though none of them were there! hahaha). Remember a grad school interview might last 20-30 minutes so you don't want to spend 5 minutes per question. Give concise, clear answers. Also remember to have questions ready for them. These questions are not you asking really, but you showing you can ask interesting things about the program.

Thanks guy, I am going to look for questions and practice them, If you have some interview questions you can put them here! especially for institution like Rockefeller university.

• 2 months later...

Don't sweat it too much. Most people will usually give you slack if they know or recognize that it's not your native language. Try to use non-complicated and straightforward language. Personally, if I were to present in a language that I don't feel too comfortable with, I would try to plan out the talk in much more detail than if I was speaking in my native tongue. The presentation might become more rigid (and somewhat more dull) but at least you will able get your points across correctly.

• 2 months later...

Story of my life. I did my MA in France and presenting in French scared me to death. I tried to overcome it by rehearsing my presentations in front of a mirror. And when I started speaking in front of the class, I tried to look confident and calm, like I had everything under control even though my accent wasn't very good. It worked for me. So, my advice: don't worry about mispronouncing a word or two, it's normal, it happens even to native speakers. If you don't understand a question, it's better to ask for clarification than try to provide an answer. It's okay. It's amazing enough that you're presenting in a language that's not your mother tongue, you're a polyglot, think about it and smile.?