Help with finding professors/programs for my area of study?

arthistorygc

Hi everyone, 

I am applying for graduate school for Fall 2020, and was hoping I could get some help from this community pertaining to professors or programs that would fit my area of study. I'm interested in modern and contemporary art, visual and material culture, critical theory, decorative arts and craft, and politics and art. I have been researching for a month or two now, but would be grateful for any recommendations of notable scholars/programs that specialize in these fields! 

Edited by mhoward

Are you thinking global, or specifically North America? If the latter, check out the faculty lists at UCSB, UC Berkeley, Bard, and U Delaware. Just a starting point. When applying I had similar interests--I wasn't really keen on theory-based programs (museum work being my ultimate goal). 

Edited by Noscrubs

• 10 months later...
On 8/1/2019 at 12:27 PM, Noscrubs said:

Are you thinking global, or specifically North America? If the latter, check out the faculty lists at UCSB, UC Berkeley, Bard, and U Delaware. Just a starting point. When applying I had similar interests--I wasn't really keen on theory-based programs (museum work being my ultimate goal). 

On 8/1/2019 at 1:39 PM, kier said:

You’ve probably already found Julia Bryan-Wilson at Berkeley but if not she’s a great match for you. 

Hi @lellabee ! I'm not sure what @arthistorygc ending up finding, but I'm happy to put in my two cents.  I agree with both these above comments!  Bard is an excellent program if your focus is more so on decorative arts/craft and material culture more so than traditional art history, but it sounds like maybe you're more the traditional route?

Jason Hill at UDelaware, possibly look at University of Southern California, Boston University - Kim Sichel for photography.  CUNY has several modern and contemporary faculty - Claire Bishop jumps to mind.  Possibly University of Minnesota and University of North Carolina - though I'm less familiar with their Europeanists. I've heard good and bad things about Stanford.  If you're interested in an MA at all, Tufts and Williams have good reputations too.

Feel free to message me!  I have just been through the application cycle in American modern/contemporary, so I'd love to help if I can.