Fall 2020 Applicants :)

bbh8

Hi I'm new to this site but I didn't see a thread yet for this year's application season.

I am about to start my senior year of undergrad in Linguistics next month and I'll be applying to Ph.D.s starting this Fall. I have 7 schools on my list as of now and they are: Cornell, UW, University of Michigan, CU Boulder, UPenn, Stanford, and UC Santa Barbara. I'm interested in computational linguistics, NLP, machine translation, and phonetics.

What schools are you guys applying to this year? MA? PhD? What are your research interests?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019 at 7:59 AM, bbh8 said:

Hi I'm new to this site but I didn't see a thread yet for this year's application season.

I am about to start my senior year of undergrad in Linguistics next month and I'll be applying to Ph.D.s starting this Fall. I have 7 schools on my list as of now and they are: Cornell, UW, University of Michigan, CU Boulder, UPenn, Stanford, and UC Santa Barbara. I'm interested in computational linguistics, NLP, machine translation, and phonetics.

What schools are you guys applying to this year? MA? PhD? What are your research interests?

Hi. I want to apply for PhD program. I am interested in syntax especially Chinese linguistics. I wanna apply to Purdue, UCB, University of Southern California. Maybe NYU, Maryland, UW and some other schools.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019 at 3:59 AM, bbh8 said:

Hi! Yep, I couldn’t find a thread either! I just finished my masters :) Will be applying for at least 5 foreign universities (I am from Brazil). My top choices are: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Maryland, Yale, British Columbia and York University. I’m interested in studying bare singulars from an experimental perspective. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am applying for masters in computational linguistics! Last year I only applied to UW and got rejected - this year I am going to apply for a few (including UW again(... hopefully I will get in. Anyone who is already in a CL master's program and can share your experience? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!  I finished my undergrad last year and am applying to MA/ PhD programs for the Fall. I have a few different interests, but I'm planning to specialize in sociolinguistics. I'm hoping to find a program that would be good for Systemic Functional Linguistics, as well as variation and change.  Does anyone have any ideas of what schools are best for this? What schools are others in sociolinguistics applying to? 

On my (long) list right now:

US: Stanford, UPitt, UCSB, Ohio (Georgetown, UPenn but I'm trying to avoid the GRE, lol)

Canada: York, McGill, Simon Fraser, Toronto

Other: Edinburgh, Oxford

• 1 month later...

Hello :)

I am applying to ph.d programs in linguistics, interested in both socio/applied linguistics. 

I have the worst GRE Score ever, but I have my reasons an I do not know if they will consider my applications with this very very low GRE score ><" 

so far I am applying to 

Georgetown/ socio 

UMD - Linguistics 

Boston University

Umass Boston 

Canada, Toronto 

Europe: Oxford 

wishing the best for everyone here :)

Heya, I'm currently in a CL MS program and would be happy to answer any questions folks might have about the application process or the program. I have a direct knowledge of applying to (and being accepted at) Brandeis, UW, and Indiana. Let me know if I can help!

I'm also almost finished applying for CS PhD programs with a focus on CL/NLP (Stanford, UW, Berkeley, Boulder, CMU, Columbia). Good luck to everyone else in the same boat

Edited by ebs

Hi Everyone!

Currently applying for Ph.D. in linguistics.  Just had my first chunk of applications due yesterday (December 1)  Super scary!  Working on my next set which are due December 15.  Good luck to everyone!  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I'm new to the post. 

I submitted my applications due early- and mid- December. I'm wondering that if you have applied some "lottery" schools (eg. MIT). My friends suggest I should try some of them, even though the chance of getting in is closing to zero. I want to know you guys opinion about it. And how many schools have you applied? 

On 12/1/2019 at 7:28 AM, ebs said:

Heya, I'm currently in a CL MS program and would be happy to answer any questions folks might have about the application process or the program. I have a direct knowledge of applying to (and being accepted at) Brandeis, UW, and Indiana. Let me know if I can help!

I'm also almost finished applying for CS PhD programs with a focus on CL/NLP (Stanford, UW, Berkeley, Boulder, CMU, Columbia). Good luck to everyone else in the same boat

Hey, I am thinking of applying to Brandeis CL MS. I am a CS undergrad and the only knowledge of Linguistics I have is through the books I've read and a MOOC from Coursera. I was actually not planning to apply to Brandeis because of its high tuition but then decided to give it a shot anyway. I wanted to know how competitive is Brandeis and does it offer scholarships? Also any idea about the school, its environment and curriculum, and tips for SOP would be really appreciated! 

11 minutes ago, r1b998 said:

Hey, I am thinking of applying to Brandeis CL MS. I am a CS undergrad and the only knowledge of Linguistics I have is through the books I've read and a MOOC from Coursera. I was actually not planning to apply to Brandeis because of its high tuition but then decided to give it a shot anyway. I wanted to know how competitive is Brandeis and does it offer scholarships? Also any idea about the school, its environment and curriculum, and tips for SOP would be really appreciated! 

There are definitely some folks coming into the Brandeis program with little to no linguistics experience, although I'd say it's more often the other way around -- people coming into the program with lots of linguistics and minimal CS experience. There's also a CS MS program at Brandeis, and a lot of those students cross-register in CL courses, so you certainly won't be lacking in terms of peers in terms of prior course experience. 

Brandeis is not crazy competitive, from what I've heard it's about a 50% acceptance rate. You're right the tuition is high (although not really any different from UW) and they offer very little in terms of financial aid. Going for outside scholarships is probably your best bet. 

The school itself is pretty great. All of the professors are very strong and highly influential in the field, the student body is diverse and motivated, and there's a really nice sense of community that you don't get as much at a program like UW where almost half of the students are doing online learning. The curriculum is as challenging as you make it -- you pay by the semester and not by the credit. It covers a wide range of CL-related topics, in particular computational semantics, machine translation, NER, and applied NLP. There are lots of cool research/internship opportunities in the Boston area, and a lot of folks stick around after graduating. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! So good to finally see a forum for Linguistics PhD 2020 applicants :) to the one interested in SFL - Edinburgh and McGill are great. I did my MSc from Edinburgh. They also do a lot of variationist research 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2019 at 7:41 PM, Phono_ said:

Hello :)

I am applying to ph.d programs in linguistics, interested in both socio/applied linguistics. 

I have the worst GRE Score ever, but I have my reasons an I do not know if they will consider my applications with this very very low GRE score ><" 

so far I am applying to 

Georgetown/ socio 

UMD - Linguistics 

Boston University

Umass Boston 

Canada, Toronto 

Europe: Oxford 

wishing the best for everyone here :)

Have you heard anything from Georgetown?

Edited by hi7

47 minutes ago, chingachleung said:

anyone knows the timeline for computational linguistics in CUNY, Georgetown and Brandeis? Can any of their students share their experience with these programs? thanks.. I am waiting ...

Someone in the result page said she/he received invitation to open house at Georgetown, I do not know what concentration that person applied though. But began to worry because I have not received anything. How about you?

On 1/14/2020 at 9:41 PM, hi7 said:

Have you heard anything from Georgetown?

Hi! I posted the in the Results section yesterday that I first heard from Georgetown on December 26th and that I had an interview via Zoom on December 28th (2019). 

I originally applied to the Applied Linguistics Concentration. After our conversation via Zoom, I received a phone call a few hours later recommending that I provide an official statement to Admissions granting permission for my application to be considered for the General Concentration too, and that I send a second personal statement by January 2nd (2020).

Currently, I am waiting to hear back if I've been invited to the Prospective Student Day (February 7th). Good luck, everyone!! The wait is agonizing, haha, but I'll be trying to focus on other adventures in the meantime! I'm doing my best to only check GradCafe once every other day. 

14 hours ago, krismiss said:

Hi! I posted the in the Results section yesterday that I first heard from Georgetown on December 26th and that I had an interview via Zoom on December 28th (2019). 

I originally applied to the Applied Linguistics Concentration. After our conversation via Zoom, I received a phone call a few hours later recommending that I provide an official statement to Admissions granting permission for my application to be considered for the General Concentration too, and that I send a second personal statement by January 2nd (2020).

Currently, I am waiting to hear back if I've been invited to the Prospective Student Day (February 7th). Good luck, everyone!! The wait is agonizing, haha, but I'll be trying to focus on other adventures in the meantime! I'm doing my best to only check GradCafe once every other day. 

Hi, thank you for the post! May I know who did you have interview with? You can send personal message if you do not want to talk about it publicly. 

Edited by hi7

Hi!

Has anybody heard anything from Ohio State, UConn, NYU, or UMass-Amherst...?

I have update on Maryland, if anybody's interested: they're doing their first round of interviews rn, in ~two weeks they'll arrive at a list of 20-25 prospective students that they'll invite to their open house in late Feb. They'll make decisions mid March.

Best of luck, everyone!