Fall 2020 Applicants :)

bbh8

Has anyone heard back from McGill yet? I saw someone had posted that they had an invite and I may have had a mild panic attack lol

Edited by SoRim

7 hours ago, awillinguist said:

I applied to University of Edinburgh, University of Rochester, McGill, ASU, UH Manoa, and UCLA. I've only received responses from Edinburgh and Rochester at this point. I haven't heard a peep from the other four. Only time will tell!

Hi, if you hear anything from ASU please let us know! Thank you!!

Hi! I am an international applicant and I've already received master's admissions from University of Delaware and Graduate Center, CUNY. I also applied for Purdue and Kansas. I have limited trainings in linguistics and hope to apply for a PhD after the two year MA. My research interests are in phonetics, speech sciences and psycholinguistics. Is there any advice for accepting which offer letter? It seems that Kansas and CUNY have better environment for doing phonetics and psycho/neuro- studies, but the structure at Delaware is more flexible. Anyone familiar with those programs? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi yall! I'm an applicant for Fall 2020, PhD programs. I was admitted to McGill (after interview) and UConn (no interview). I'm waiting to hear back from UMass Amherst, my interview was about 10 days ago. Still heard nothing from MIT, uOttawa and UBC. Wish best of luck to all of you. 

Hi guys! I applied for both MA and PHD programs! Currently waitlisted for UCLA and UMass, and was admitted to UToronto. Has anyone hear anything from MIT or UBC? I haven't heard anything from either of these schools basically since application...

Best of luck to everyone! 

5 hours ago, nbutler said:

Hi guys! I applied for both MA and PHD programs! Currently waitlisted for UCLA and UMass, and was admitted to UToronto. Has anyone hear anything from MIT or UBC? I haven't heard anything from either of these schools basically since application...

Best of luck to everyone! 

I heard back from MIT about an hour ago, but nothing from UBC yet... But there are some posts on "Share your results" from people accepted at UBC. 

18 hours ago, tardias said:

I heard back from MIT about an hour ago, but nothing from UBC yet... But there are some posts on "Share your results" from people accepted at UBC. 

I heard from MIT yesterday too, rejected but not too surprised. Hope you have been getting some good news! I saw that some people were getting rejected from the MA program and accepted/rejected from the PHD program, but there haven't been any acceptances for MA yet.

On 2/21/2020 at 1:42 PM, nbutler said:

I heard from MIT yesterday too, rejected but not too surprised. Hope you have been getting some good news! I saw that some people were getting rejected from the MA program and accepted/rejected from the PHD program, but there haven't been any acceptances for MA yet.

I heard from UBC (rejected) just an hour after hearing from MIT (waitlisted). Were you accepted into a program so far? I'm still waiting to hear from uOttawa... 

Hello all! I applied to these MA programs in November:

University of Virginia

University of Delaware

Boston University

And then my whole life got flipped on its head and I filled out 2 more applications at the last minute:

Colorado University - Boulder

Indiana University - Bloomington

I was admitted to Delaware! With zero funding, so I really have to think about whether I want to do that or not. I'm really hoping CU or IU works out even though it was so last minute. Do you think this would affect my chances?

A little more about me: I majored in Spanish and got a MA in Instruction from a tiny college in Minnesota in 2015 and 2016 respectively. Moved and started teaching in the Denver area. I really liked the kids and I loved engaging in language education with them, but all the other bs around a teaching career really wore me down. Maybe as an older adult I would consider returning but K-12 education is tough. I'm open to TA spots but again in a MA program I don't know what I'll have available to me. I was advised not to apply directly to PhD programs since I don't have a formal education in Linguistics, only a Phonetics elective as part of my major. Which I ADORED and has led me here! Looking forward to learning from you all.

On 1/31/2020 at 7:54 AM, Phono_ said:

Hello :)

is there anyone who applied to SLA programs? would  you mind sharing where did u apply and if u heard back from any or not ?

Hi! I'm a bit late now and I assume you've heard back. But wanted to say there's a Fall 2020 Applied linguistics and teaching thread that has some SLA programs on it. Do you know where you're going yet? I'm deciding between NAU app ling and Univ of Arizona SLAT. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 5:58 PM, ebs said:

Heya, I'm currently in a CL MS program and would be happy to answer any questions folks might have about the application process or the program. I have a direct knowledge of applying to (and being accepted at) Brandeis, UW, and Indiana. Let me know if I can help!

I'm also almost finished applying for CS PhD programs with a focus on CL/NLP (Stanford, UW, Berkeley, Boulder, CMU, Columbia). Good luck to everyone else in the same boat

Hi, please advise what are they looking for in prospective students, what background/experience would have a greater chance of acceptance at UW.

Thanks in advance for the help!