Personal statement help

Hi everyone! I'm finishing up my CSDCAS apps and I pretty much only have my personal statements/essays left. I am having such a hard time getting started, I don't even know where to begin. Anyone else in the same boat? Maybe we can create a group to exchange essays and proofread and give some inspiration. Let me know!

On 8/7/2019 at 11:35 AM, jsieges said:

Hi everyone! I'm finishing up my CSDCAS apps and I pretty much only have my personal statements/essays left. I am having such a hard time getting started, I don't even know where to begin. Anyone else in the same boat? Maybe we can create a group to exchange essays and proofread and give some inspiration. Let me know!

Do your schools of choice have a set question/prompt? The first time I applied to my program, I was all about this is why I wanted to be a SLP. It was good BUT guess what? Still didn’t get in. It was like too many others is what the program director told me. It didn’t stand out. This last app Cycle, they had a prompt about why you want to attend their specific program. I stuck to the prompt and was very real/blunt about how I was a perfect match for the program. Needless to say, I was accepted! So, if they’ve got a prompt, for sure stick to it. If not, I would say why I would fit with that school. They read TONS of I want to be a SLP and change the world type letters. Unless it’s super unique and your story would stand out and be memorable, your letter will blend in with the others. 

I’m happy to help anyone who wants assistance brainstorming or proofreading statements! Others on this forum were helpful to me during my rough/final draft stages of my statement, and I ended up getting into 4/6 schools I applied to and waitlisted at the other 2, so I’d hope I could give helpful advice on statements. :) Just send me a message!

Try to have an opening statement that makes them WANT to keep reading. Best advice I received. So, when I wrote mine, I thought about that.

Here is the first line, "My radio crackled with just two words 'Caleb' - 'pavilion.' My heart sank as I raced across the campgrounds hoping to reach Caleb in time."

In the next few sentences, I continue with the story (boy with special needs heading to a meltdown that I was trying to get to in time, but didnt) and how my experiences with scouts with special needs led me to SLP and then tied it into the prompt "why I felt I could make a difference in SLP." I also wrote what I had done to prepare for grad school. (In my case, I knew I wanted an online program so I did my undergrad as a hybrid) so I told them that. Advocate for yourself and dont be afraid to showcase your strengths. Just find that balance so you dont sound arrogant. 

Everyone has a story. Tell YOURS and find a way to draw them in from the beginning. 

Edited by CaidanFire

On 8/9/2019 at 1:31 PM, slptobe! said:

I did this last year, if you need some help bouncing ideas around or with editing, don't be afraid to message me! :D 

Awesome! I totally will. I had a family emergency and took a week off from even thinking about it but I'm back on the grind.

On 8/9/2019 at 10:43 PM, MH13 said:

Do your schools of choice have a set question/prompt? The first time I applied to my program, I was all about this is why I wanted to be a SLP. It was good BUT guess what? Still didn’t get in. It was like too many others is what the program director told me. It didn’t stand out. This last app Cycle, they had a prompt about why you want to attend their specific program. I stuck to the prompt and was very real/blunt about how I was a perfect match for the program. Needless to say, I was accepted! So, if they’ve got a prompt, for sure stick to it. If not, I would say why I would fit with that school. They read TONS of I want to be a SLP and change the world type letters. Unless it’s super unique and your story would stand out and be memorable, your letter will blend in with the others. 

That is so helpful. Some have specific prompts and some are just "Why do you want to be an SLP?" ? I needed to hear that though and just get real.

On 8/10/2019 at 8:50 AM, Blondie! said:

It's not just you, I really need help. I have no idea how to make what I want to say interesting. 

Right? There's so much I want to say but I've had trouble putting it into a professional but still interesting essay format!! 

On 8/10/2019 at 9:48 AM, Lwc23 said:

I’m happy to help anyone who wants assistance brainstorming or proofreading statements! Others on this forum were helpful to me during my rough/final draft stages of my statement, and I ended up getting into 4/6 schools I applied to and waitlisted at the other 2, so I’d hope I could give helpful advice on statements. :) Just send me a message!

Wow that's awesome! I'll message you for some help once I get everything together

On 8/10/2019 at 8:18 PM, CaidanFire said:

Try to have an opening statement that makes them WANT to keep reading. Best advice I received. So, when I wrote mine, I thought about that.

Here is the first line, "My radio crackled with just two words 'Caleb' - 'pavilion.' My heart sank as I raced across the campgrounds hoping to reach Caleb in time."

In the next few sentences, I continue with the story (boy with special needs heading to a meltdown that I was trying to get to in time, but didnt) and how my experiences with scouts with special needs led me to SLP and then tied it into the prompt "why I felt I could make a difference in SLP." I also wrote what I had done to prepare for grad school. (In my case, I knew I wanted an online program so I did my undergrad as a hybrid) so I told them that. Advocate for yourself and dont be afraid to showcase your strengths. Just find that balance so you dont sound arrogant. 

Everyone has a story. Tell YOURS and find a way to draw them in from the beginning. 

That is so helpful! I see you got into St Augustine!! That's my top choice :)

9 hours ago, jsieges said:

That is so helpful. Some have specific prompts and some are just "Why do you want to be an SLP?" ? I needed to hear that though and just get real.

Oh Lord. Those are literally THE worst questions to ask. I mean, you obviously want to be a SLP to help people. Maybe you had experience receiving speech services, but so do several applicants. I understand your aggravation- I felt it too! I was like UMMMM you want me to put it down on 1 page and sell myself? I’m NOT good at selling myself! That’s not my strong suit at all. If you had prior experience with speech such as you received services or a family member did and you had a memorable experience, write it for those that ask why you want to be a SLP. For me, my mom was a reading interventionist and I saw the correlation between reading and speech and wanted to help kids before they hit the reading learning years and became frustrated. That was my first letter of intent. What got me in was that I’ve been a SLPA for 4 years and in order for me to grow as a professional I must obtain my master’s degree... and in my title 1 district 98% of our students only receive services in school and can’t access outside therapy for a variety of reasons. THAT got me in. Lol. Both letters were my truth, but one stood out more than the other and was the difference in acceptance and waitlist!