Fully Funded PhD Programs Other than IVY League

Richelieu

Which other colleges offer fully funded programs in PoliSci? 

As far as I know, Michigan Ann Arbor and University of Chicago are two of those.

Thank you and good luck.

• 1 month later...

Other than international students (who sometimes come in funded by their home gvts) and those with fringe subfield interests won't receive unfunded offers from schools that mostly fund their students (i.e. UCLA, OSU, etc.). Furthermore, you can find programs as low as rank 100+ that "fully fund" their PhD students. Even MA programs sometimes fully fund, particularly at schools where there is no PhD program and MA students are TAs. I assume by "fully fund" you mean tuition remission, some form of health insurance, and 9 month compensation at say $13,000+, which might require TA responsibilities but will likely allow for 20 or so hours per week of outside employment. I'm not calling any of this a great deal, I'm just saying it exists, and it's possible to do a Ph.D. under these conditions in most cities in the U.S. (if you're a modest spender and you have no extra burdens in terms of costs). Certainly $35k/yr+ at top schools, with no teaching or research requirement for 2-3 years of your 5-6 years, is more desirable - and easier, but most students aren't quite that lucky.

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2019 at 12:38 AM, Mixedmethodsisa4letterword said:

Actually from what I heard Cornell sometimes sends out unfunded offers. "Ivy League" does not mean anything for PhD programs.

Just as a correction: Cornell's Government Department offers the same funding package to all of its admitted students in the PhD program. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just chiming in to say that our program at UC Merced (which has not yet been ranked by USNWR) offers 5 years of full funding -- tuition, a generous stipend, plus health insurance --- to admitted students who remain in good academic standing. We also offer competitive graduate student grants to support research during the winter and summer breaks.

You can see more details over at our post, or check out our website

Edited by ucmercedpolisci