GRE scores Top 20 PhD Programmes

pluropotential

Hi y'all, 

My GRE scores are 169V/157Q/6.0AW

Last year I was shut out of all the PhD programmes to which I applied, which were all in the PGR Top 20. 

How likely do you think it was the quant. score that was holding me back? And/or if I were to apply again, would I be better served refining my writing sample, or re-taking the GRE again? Or just both?

In general, do you think you need to have completely stellar GRE scores in all three categories (or at least the big two) to be competitive for top-20 ranked programmes? Top-50? 

thanks for any advice or support, team 

as a random aside-- my AOI is meta-philosophy-- does any department welcome this AOI, or is my academic career doomed before it's even begun? 

Unless your AoI requires significant expertise in math/logic, and maybe even not in that case, retaking the GRE seems like it'd be a waste of time with those scores. Based on everything I've seen on this forum, I doubt those scores are what held you back (there could be a bunch of reasons, including just bad luck, but I'll repeat the writing sample mantra).

Your GRE scores are one of the least important parts of your application. Focus your energy on your writing sample and cover letter.

8 hours ago, pluropotential said:

as a random aside-- my AOI is meta-philosophy-- does any department welcome this AOI, or is my academic career doomed before it's even begun? 

Your academic career is doomed before it's even begun because you're looking for an academic career in philosophy. It's extra-doomed because there are no jobs advertised in meta-philosophy, and that's a trend that's likely to continue; what's more, there are no job in metaphysics, either, and that's also likely to continue. If you branch out in philosophy of science or experimental philosophy, you might have a few more chances, especially if you can pull in some grant funding so that you look attractive in Europe.

Choosing an appropriate department in which to pursue your interests is important. If you're not sure whether any departments welcome meta-philosophy, then that was probably part of the problem with your applications: they weren't targeted at good fits. Have a think about who the main players in the subfield are, and look at where they're working. Those are the departments you want and need to apply to. Think about where your broader interests lie (i.e. in which allied subfields), and seek out departments strong in those subfields. You want to find departments that are strong in your narrow area of interest, and strong in your broader areas of interest.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2019 at 4:02 AM, pluropotential said:

Hi y'all, 

My GRE scores are 169V/157Q/6.0AW

Last year I was shut out of all the PhD programmes to which I applied, which were all in the PGR Top 20. 

How likely do you think it was the quant. score that was holding me back? And/or if I were to apply again, would I be better served refining my writing sample, or re-taking the GRE again? Or just both?

In general, do you think you need to have completely stellar GRE scores in all three categories (or at least the big two) to be competitive for top-20 ranked programmes? Top-50? 

thanks for any advice or support, team 

No don't take the GRE again. Your scores are great, like someone else said unless you are trying to do logic or math... do not worry about GRE. I would look at other aspects of your application again - sample paper (obviously), SOP, and talk to your previous professors and see what they think. Do you think you had strong recommendation letters? AND, yes def look at the schools you applied to and really focus on fit. Email some of the grad students at the programs you're interested in and see what they think of your fit at their program. I would also, maybe try to also expand your AOS in your SOP. And again, talk to your previous professors and see what they think.