Rank order of competitiveness - Biomedical/Biological Sciences PhD

Bak3rm3

I have a list of schools that do not require GRE exams for Biomedical/Biological Science PhD. 

Now some of the schools I have an idea of how competitive they are but other schools not so much. I wanted to break them down to see which schools can be my safety schools and which ones are a bit more competitive.

After so I can go back and look at the faculty in each of these schools to see what interests me and narrow down my choices.

Again this is Biomedical/Biological Sciences PhD program

• Boston University

• Emory University (Atlanta, Georgia)

• Brandeis (Waltham, Massachusetts)

• Albert Einstein

• UMass (university of Massachusetts school of medicine)

• NYU

• Ichan School of Medicine at Mount Sinai

• Cold Spring Harbor

• Rutgers

• Weill Cornell

To add to your list, Michigan's biomedical sciences program (PIBS) doesn't require the GRE anymore and ranks quite highly. As for categorizing or ranking them, I'd imagine each schools' competitiveness is comparable to last year's, if not more competitive, due to more applicants since getting rid of the GRE. I'd pay attention to the schools' past statistics on their websites, US news rankings, and available information on this forum. Good luck! And if you stick with this list, 10-12 applications is not abnormal, so it might be worth a deep dive into all of them to find your research interests.

Right off the bat, all New York schools are hyper competitive because there are a ton of people that apply. BU is another one, where a lot of people are interested.

I applied to umass med, Einstein, NYU, Sinai, and Weill Cornell of the ones on your list. Einstein/Sinai/NYU were honestly some of the biggest let downs for me because I thought they would be more reasonable target schools, but I did not receive interviews from any of them. I would be very wary of considering any mid or higher tier university in a major city (at least New York) a safety purely because of the volume of interest they draw. 

I turned down the interview offer I had from Umass med, but I can say they were very accommodating with scheduling conflicts. 

I will be attending Weill Cornell, so let me know if you have any questions about the application or interview process there. At the end of the day your fit in the program matters more than anything else, which is why I feel like I got interviewed/into a more competitive program, like Weill, than a number of others on my list. 

From your list I interviewed at Emory, NYU and Mount Sinai and was accepted to Emory. Let me know if you have any questions about those schools! I feel Mount Sinai was the most competitive from those three.

• 2 months later...

Its months later...but here we are. Anyway, I applied to Emory, University of Georgia, University of Alabama, Vanderbilt, University of Virginia, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, Duke University, and University of Pennsylvania. All of them were Biomed that didn't require the GRE. For a few, you pick a more specific area to apply to but it is still under the Biomed umbrella. for some others you can list a few areas of interest. For the remaining you apply to the umbrella program itself. I know for some that allow you to give a few options for your area, they will float your application to other areas if you aren't accepted to your top choice. Other schools don't do that (or at least they didn't specify that they did). Some of my schools aren't as competitive as those on the list above, but they are some other options for people to look into.

I have a problem guys. I am biotechnology major. I have bachelor’s degree in zoology and master’s degree in industrial biotechnology with master’s thesis based on nano sciences and application in drug delivery. Most of the institutes in US are offering same research in the department of chem engg biomedical engg or chemistry. These institutes also have a prerequisite course requirements like the very same bachelor’s degree as the program itself. How can i tackle this problem. And yes i have been denied admission in UIC and the reason that they gave me was different background. I am very confused about this situation. 

On 8/13/2019 at 10:57 AM, Ptow said:

Right off the bat, all New York schools are hyper competitive because there are a ton of people that apply. BU is another one, where a lot of people are interested.

I applied to umass med, Einstein, NYU, Sinai, and Weill Cornell of the ones on your list. Einstein/Sinai/NYU were honestly some of the biggest let downs for me because I thought they would be more reasonable target schools, but I did not receive interviews from any of them. I would be very wary of considering any mid or higher tier university in a major city (at least New York) a safety purely because of the volume of interest they draw. 

I turned down the interview offer I had from Umass med, but I can say they were very accommodating with scheduling conflicts. 

I will be attending Weill Cornell, so let me know if you have any questions about the application or interview process there. At the end of the day your fit in the program matters more than anything else, which is why I feel like I got interviewed/into a more competitive program, like Weill, than a number of others on my list. 

Did you apply for Tri-I?