Out-of-Field Anxiety

Hi everyone, 

I've found this forum to be so helpful in researching SLP grad programs, so I was hoping to post some questions I had here to maybe get some advice.

I'm going into my senior year as a Psychology and Linguistics double major (with an English minor) and last year I decided I want to become an SLP. I have already taken some prerequisite courses at my school, but I have a number left to complete. They will all be completed by the time I finish my senior year, but not all will be completed before applications are due in December. 

After reading about how competitive SLP grad schools are and realizing that many people apply 3-4 times before getting accepted, I am starting to feel really panicked. I am a strong student (3.89 GPA at a top ten school) with research experience and have volunteered with special needs kids, as well as completed 25+ observation hours with SLPs. I am studying for the GRE now, so we'll see how that goes.

I am just really nervous about applying this winter with only a handful of prereqs done. I am wondering if I should just wait a year to apply, after all my pre-reqs are completed.  Overall, I'm feeling really scared that I won't be accepted and I would love to hear any advice or similar experiences you might have had.

I don’t want to discount others’ experiences, but I wouldn’t say that THAT many apply 3-4 times before getting admitted. Although not totally applicable to your situation, about 20 out of 30 in my CSD undergrad cohort applied our senior year, and everyone got into at least one school; I applied one round and got into 4/6 schools. Your stats sound good, you’ve got some experience, and schools want to have a variety of applicants and have nothing against out-of-fielders. I really think you’ll be fine, especially if you research schools and apply to ones in your range. And worst case scenario, if you aren’t accepted you can work for a year before trying again.

I was an out of field as a psych major and got into all 12 programs I applied to! I had a few prerequisites done but a few weren’t done until that spring after I already got into the schools! You’re so fine as long as your gpa, GRE and essays are good, 100% apply.