Low Cumulative GPA, High Psych GPA and GREs: What are my chances in Social Psych PHD programs?

PoliPsych123

Hello, I've been lurking around here for a little while and really appreciate all the great advice you guys give.

Thought I'd ask this question here because I'm in a bit of a weird situation - my Overall GPA is pretty meh (3.3 Cumulative) due to my major being Engineering for my Freshman and Sophomore Years of College, even though my Psych Gpa is a lot better (3.6). 

My GREs are pretty good -

162 Verbal (90th percentile)

161 Quant (78th percentile)

4.5 Analytical Writing (81st percentile)

I have strong recommendations and research experience, but am unsure what level of Social/Political Psych program I could apply due given my past grades in engineering pulling down my cumulative GPA. Just wondering if anyone has experience about how much schools will overlook this sort of thing? I'm currently playing with the idea of programs like Michigan, Minnesota, or Boston University, but am not sure if I would be automatically eliminated from contention due to hidden GPA cutoffs.

Hope this is an alright place to post this sort of question, I really would be grateful for thoughts from someone with more experience.

My experience with social psych is that they do not necessarily care the most about GPA/GRE (GRE is usually be above the cutoff), bu rather about research experience. It really depends on the school (and the size of their applicant pool) and individual PIs the extent to which they value GPA. This really varies tbh.