Working While in Grad School

Hi everyone! I start my graduate program in a few weeks and couldn’t be more excited. I only have class on Monday and Tuesday and want to do something else Wednesday-Friday. I would like to leave my current job because it has nothing to do with speech and find a job that actually involves my future profession. 

I was wondering if you guys could share your work experiences while in graduate school. Being only a graduate student I am not really sure what jobs I would be able to qualify for so this would be very helpful. I am from New York and looking around this area.

I've stuck with on-campus work-study jobs, since they're super flexible with scheduling and can be done on-campus or even at home. My first semester I was a TA for a 1-credit undergrad class and mostly just graded papers. For my 2nd and 3rd semesters I was an RA, transcribing speech samples and helping with evaluations. This coming semester I'll be a writing consultant in the grad writing center. Of course, there are many more options than these, but I've been pretty happy with them!

5 hours ago, SLPapplicant2019 said:

Hi everyone! I start my graduate program in a few weeks and couldn’t be more excited. I only have class on Monday and Tuesday and want to do something else Wednesday-Friday. I would like to leave my current job because it has nothing to do with speech and find a job that actually involves my future profession. 

I was wondering if you guys could share your work experiences while in graduate school. Being only a graduate student I am not really sure what jobs I would be able to qualify for so this would be very helpful. I am from New York and looking around this area.

I forgot to ask this earlier--are you doing clinic your first semester, and are you in a full-time or part-time program? If classes are only Monday/Tuesday, but you have a lot of them and/or also have clinic on those days, I would not advise working more than 10-20 hours a week, and even that is pushing it depending on the program. You may need W-F at least somewhat free for all your school/clinic work and any meetings, group projects, etc that may come up. If you get a less flexible job W-F, you may have to frequently request time off.

On 8/21/2019 at 4:00 PM, bibliophile222 said:

I forgot to ask this earlier--are you doing clinic your first semester, and are you in a full-time or part-time program? If classes are only Monday/Tuesday, but you have a lot of them and/or also have clinic on those days, I would not advise working more than 10-20 hours a week, and even that is pushing it depending on the program. You may need W-F at least somewhat free for all your school/clinic work and any meetings, group projects, etc that may come up. If you get a less flexible job W-F, you may have to frequently request time off.

I don’t have clinic this semester or next! But I wanted to get a feel of the work load before committing to something. It is a full time program and I do want to work somewhere where I can benefit from, rather then the job I have now that has nothing to do with speech. I’m still keeping my current job but willing to leave if I find a different option that involves working with SLPs 

I don’t know if this would be relevant for you, as it’s only somewhat related with speech. There are good opportunities to teach English online, through companies like VIPKID. It works with Chinese children one-on-one (as is the model for many companies, though some work in other countries and a small handful with adults, though those typically pay less). I find them convenient because the online work allows you to work from home and make your own hours, and helping with things like phonics and grammar does feel related enough that I appreciate the experience! :)

You can always work as a sub TA at schools with special needs kids. Nassau BOCES is a company that is super flexible and allows you to choose what days you want to work and as often and as little as you like. Something to consider- they have a lot of schools across Long Island. 

I second what Lwc23 said! I work for VIPKid right now while in grad school and it has been perfect! It's completely flexible, so I can decide when I want to teach and when I don't. If a week is too busy, I don't have to teach. The only problem is it's either early mornings or late nights because of the time difference. I'm a morning person so it doesn't bother me. I make about $20 an hour, often more because of incentives. Anyone feel free to message me if you're thinking about applying or have any questions! This is a link you can use to apply:

https://t.vipkid.com.cn/mkt/landing/personal?referralToken=8f48acf1178aa890c2e83f9c5d70c460&refereeId=5933101

I also babysit through care.com, which is another great way to make some money and is still somewhat relevant if you're interested in working with children! 

Edited by maggiemae9