US policy schools with network/brand in Canada?

DecafDog

Hello!

I'm applying for two-year policy programs (MPP-MPA) with the goal of working in education (international non-profits, or ed tech). Right now, I have some background in both, but as a career switcher, it's been difficult to move up the ladder. Also, I'm in the US, but my girlfriend is from Toronto and we're hoping to move there in 3-5 years.

So which US programs have a network & brand in Canada? While Princeton & Harvard definitely have their reach even in Timbucktoo, and what about the others?

- Tier 1 for network/ brand: Columbia SIPA, Chicago Harris, Yale Jackson, Stanford MPP  

- Tier 2 for network/ brand: Tufts Fletcher, Michigan Ford, ...who else?

- Tier 3: DC schools? I'm guessing that because most students here are headed for DC and Federal Govt jobs, they are least likely to have a network outside the US.

Would love to hear your thoughts on my informal rankings.

Thanks!

On 8/21/2019 at 12:44 PM, DecafDog said:

Hello!

I'm applying for two-year policy programs (MPP-MPA) with the goal of working in education (international non-profits, or ed tech). Right now, I have some background in both, but as a career switcher, it's been difficult to move up the ladder. Also, I'm in the US, but my girlfriend is from Toronto and we're hoping to move there in 3-5 years.

So which US programs have a network & brand in Canada? While Princeton & Harvard definitely have their reach even in Timbucktoo, and what about the others?

- Tier 1 for network/ brand: Columbia SIPA, Chicago Harris, Yale Jackson, Stanford MPP  

- Tier 2 for network/ brand: Tufts Fletcher, Michigan Ford, ...who else?

- Tier 3: DC schools? I'm guessing that because most students here are headed for DC and Federal Govt jobs, they are least likely to have a network outside the US.

Would love to hear your thoughts on my informal rankings.

Thanks!

Canada doesnt have school rankings like the states. There are no tiers here. Granted, some schools do have better research opportunities, co-op placements, funding opportunities, etc. However, the course work is more or less identical across the board.

If the plan is to move to Toronto, why not just apply for MPA/MPP programs in Canada. You'll have a much easier time getting a job and networking if you come from a Canadian University.

I'll be starting an MPPA (Public Policy and Administration) in Canada and am happy to answer any questions you may have about Canadian schools.

On 8/23/2019 at 12:42 PM, BTF said:

If the plan is to move to Toronto, why not just apply for MPA/MPP programs in Canada. You'll have a much easier time getting a job and networking if you come from a Canadian University.

Oh hey, thanks for your comment. Yours is a valid question. The reason I'm more focused on US schools is because if we ever have to move back to the US, or even head out of North America, a brand like Harvard or Princeton will be useful anywhere in the world.

That said, if I had to choose between NYU Wagner and U Toronto Munk, you bet I'd choose Munk.

On 8/23/2019 at 12:42 PM, BTF said:

I'll be starting an MPPA (Public Policy and Administration) in Canada and am happy to answer any questions you may have about Canadian schools.

Which are the most selective/ most prestigious schools in Canada? Part of the reason why I ask this is because I'm in my mid-30s, and with a prior graduate degree (career switcher), so if I'm going back to school, I want to be absolutely sure that I'm getting the best possible experience.

I'm slightly concerned also because while I know UofT is the best uni in Canada, I've also read this below and other similar articles. What do you make of it?

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/84990-why-not-to-attend-university-of-torontos-school-of-public-policy-and-governance-for-your-master-of-public-policy/

On 8/23/2019 at 1:00 PM, Boolakanaka said:

@DecafDogIf you do decide on Ed Tech, I would consider schools that also have graduate programs in education—notably Harvard and Columbia. As much as I love Yale and Jackson, there are no supporting ed programs or degrees at Yale....something to consider.

You know, that's a valid point. I was planning to apply to U Fels as they used to offer a joint 2-year MPA and 1-year MA (education), all done in two years. However, recently, they changed their 2-year MPA to a 1-year MPA, and I'm really not interested in a 1-year program. Sigh.

Yale gives a lot of money. As an older candidate, I'm all for *show me the money* unfortunately.