The iPad and grad school

pea-jay

I wouldn't do that... Maybe I am old school... I'm 29, but I always liked writing my notes, then going home and retyping them and adding thoughts in after class, it makes me redo all the class material while its fresh and keeps me organized. I do like iphone though. I have a laptop and hook it up to a 24" lcd when I'm at the house so ipad would kind of be money down the drain. It's a niche device, just not a niche I personally need, already have that covered.

Edited by njw

Have any of you heard of the EntourageEdge? It's similar to an ipad, except it has both an e-reader and LCD screen, and you can write notes on the e-reader side. It just came out a few months ago, and the company is trying to break into the educational market. I have one and love it so far. I was going to originally get the ipad but decided on the Edge because it met my needs better. If you google the name, the main website should pop up and, there are also a lot of reviews (mostly positive) from tech journalists on the internet. You should check it out if you want an e-reader, web browser, and note taker combined for about $500.

I saw someone using an iPad on the bus yesterday. It looked like they just stared at and jiggled icons for over half an hour. ...Distraction! :lol:

It's not a replacement for a laptop at all. I think we agree on that. It isn't even a financially viable tool for most grad students yet. Mine was a business write off so I lucked out.

I look at it this way. I have thousands of dollars of software on my macbook. I love the device dearly. However, when I am out at a coffee shop reading journal articles, taking notes on articles or proof reading a manuscript or reading anything else I'd rather have the iPad instead of risking something happening to my device. I keep my laptop in a room where I write and write only. If I have to take it somewhere to analyze data I do so. However, I can write notes in meetings or in classes with the ipad with total ease so I use it in those situations too. I love it...but I'm reluctant to use it more for fear of being "that guy."

Edited by musicforfun