Drug Test for a PhD?

grad castle

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but- I'm starting this fall as a biomedical engineering PhD student at a private research university, and I'm wondering if I can expect getting drug tested at all during the program. The school is in a recreational state and I have some friends who I'm sure will make the occasional offer. I've smoked occasionally during undergrad but don't have an issue avoiding it if need be, just wanted to get an idea of if it's something I should steer clear of.

• 1 month later...

If they drug tested grad students it would really reduce the workload for professors. There wouldn't be anymore pesky grad students to mentor.

I have never heard of drug testing in grad school and would be stunned if it existed at any significant level, even outside the US. 

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/30/2020 at 2:49 PM, JudyRomero said:

I also were very surprised when I were asked to made it in university. Earlier, many said that it was easy to go to university, but the process becomes more difficult every year. I have never used drugs, but my friend constantly uses drugs and they failed the drug test, but he came in a week and passed it again and was able to enter the university. You ask how he did it. Very easy. With synthetic urine. He found out about it and after a detailed review he ordered several packs and used them instead of his urine and he was able to enroll. We laughed with this life hack for a very long time. By the way, on the site you can find synthetic urine at different prices.

Def listen to the guy who only made an account to give you a terrible advice

• 9 months later...

I can tell you that Albert Einstein COM drug tests research (nonclinical) laboratory employees as well as all their PhD and MD students.  This is probably rare but just so you know, some places are like that - I do not know what they would say if you were from a recreational state but it does seem wrong to discriminate against a legal activity.