Clinical Psychology PhD or masters first

Hi, 

I have a 3.25 overall gpa and about a 3.6 psych gpa. I have about 2 years of research experience in a social psychology setting. I want to apply to PhD programs in clinical psychology, but I fee I don’t have a strong enough application since my research experience is in social psychology. Should I apply to a masters program before I apply to a PhD program? 

The research skills are transferable; however, if what you were doing in the social lab isn't related to your interests, then make sure your SOP gives a good picture of how you can apply those skills and what your actual interests are. I also think you should think about what kind of research experience is, did you only do data entry or did you help write the paper? Did it (or could it) result in a publication? Two years of basic RA duties may not be enough to show that you can stick with a project through its completion. 

As far as your GPA goes, it's a bit on the lower end but that's not the end of the world. An otherwise great application (especially good GRE scores) can completely outweigh this. 

Honestly, the purpose of a Masters is to boost a GPA, gain research experience and clarity in your research ideas, and to prepare you for the different kind of rigor that grad school requires. I will never discourage a Masters, I'm currently in a clinical MA, but you should be aware that the majority of programs are NOT funded at this level. If you have debt from undergrad, you'd only be adding to that because it is very hard to work during grad school. Conversely, if you're able to secure a position as a paid RA or Lab Coordinator/Manager in a lab that matches your interests/methodologies then you could get nearly the same benefits as a Masters. It shows that you can do research and see it to completion, that you're serious about the field, and gives you more experience and possible a publication or two, all without the cost of a Masters.

Ultimately the choice is up to you and what financially works for you. I took a gap year and during that time I was unable to secure a RA position without potentially moving cross country (Indiana to West or East coast) which I was in no way financially stable enough to do. Therefore, I applied to 7 PhD programs for Fall 2019 and a few Masters as backups. After interviews and waitlists, nothing panned out at the doctoral level and now I'm in my third week of a MA and I love it. It was the right choice for me, but may not be for you!

• 2 weeks later...

If you decide to apply to PhD programs, I would strongly suggest applying to a few Master's programs as well.  As I'm sure you've gathered from the various posts here Clinical Psych has become extremely competitive and it is not uncommon for applicants to do multiple application cycles before being accepted.  If none of the PhD apps work out this season, but one or more of the Master's ones does then you can expand your skills and boost your CV for future PhD applications.  Yes, most Master's are unfunded (and scholarships/fellowships are very competitive), but some make it more feasible to work part or full time (and no I'm not referring to online programs, I would never suggest anyone attend one of those) and provide rigorous training.  

I went back after undergrad to get a 2nd BS. No Masters. No research experience outside of an undergrad Directed Study, no posters or presentations. Lots of clinical experience. I applied for a single program due to geographic constraints and got in. I have no idea if I would have been remotely competitive for 'top tier' programmes. Research skills are interchangeable, to a degree, but interest and fit aren't. I have demonstrable and irrefutable interest in the field of clinical psychology. I've already been approached by another professor to join a research project in addition to working with my mentor and I'm five weeks in. This is based on several conversations generated by my level of interest in the field.

How have you demonstrated an interest in clinical psychology? Why clinical and not social or any other speciality?

Have you connected to an area of interest (not just a patient demographic, such as 'children with trauma')? Who is doing that research and where? 

Based on my personal experiences, the identification and connection with a body of work and potential mentor is of upmost importance, even if it is several individuals. Start talking to people. Reach out to grad students in the labs of the profs you want to work with (before emailing the profs, if you are anxious). They can help point you in the right direction and have already been accepted, so they may have great insight.

This approach helps define your goal and highlights if you're not in a position to successfully apply at this stage, as well as help you decide whether pursuing a Master's is a good option.