Geography 2020 Application Thread

llgecir43

2 hours ago, geog19009 said:

For those inquiring about UBC geography, I emailed Grad Admissions and they responded that they sent out most of the offers. They don't send official rejections until April.

Best of luck to everyone.

Thanks for that update. That really helps those who applied to that program. I applied to two Canadian schools and I know its gonna be a long wait. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just curious how folks are doing.. I have one outstanding application that I am waiting. Yeesh this cycle is gonna go down in the record books for being dramatic and all over the place.. Good luck to everyone out there still waiting on schools and/or having to make tough decisions. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 8:04 AM, ngl said:

Thanks @SpaceMaker! Yeah I came across Illinois about two weeks before the application deadline and I am really glad I found it. 

I actually applied to a pretty similar list of schools as you. I applied to the geography department at every school:

• UBC
  • University of Minnesota
  • University of Illinois
  • Simon Fraser
  • University of Calgary
  • Queens University

I am primarily interested in economic and urban geography/political economy. It seems like a lot of the bigwigs in that area live in Canada. (I'm from the US.)

Hi @ngl wondering if you’ve heard anything back from SFU?

@Mun-Dungus I have not heard anything yet, unfortunately. I have a feeling that I am going to get rejected, though, as I am an American and I had a lot of trouble finding a supervisor.

I actually ended up getting into UBC and I committed there anyway so I am not too worried about it :) Is SFU your top choice?

Just now, ngl said:

@Mun-Dungus I have not heard anything yet, unfortunately. I have a feeling that I am going to get rejected, though, as I am an American and I had a lot of trouble finding a supervisor.

I actually ended up getting into UBC and I committed there anyway so I am not too worried about it :) Is SFU your top choice?

Hey did you ever hear from Queens? That is my last school to hear from and I am like come please.. I emailed the admin almost two weeks ago and she said they still had yet to make decisions. 

@SpaceMaker Are you from the US or Canada, and are you applying for a PhD or Masters?

I had a conversation with my potential supervisor in February that led to some pretty depressing insights. Due to some sort of funding issue, Queens is very likely not accepting any visa MA students this year. So unless you are Canadian there is a good chance that is playing a role. The person I talked to made it sound like there was a funding cut between applications and decisions that messed things up for a lot of people :(

8 minutes ago, ngl said:

@SpaceMaker Are you from the US or Canada, and are you applying for a PhD or Masters?

I had a conversation with my potential supervisor in February that led to some pretty depressing insights. Due to some sort of funding issue, Queens is very likely not accepting any visa MA students this year. So unless you are Canadian there is a good chance that is playing a role. The person I talked to made it sound like there was a funding cut between applications and decisions that messed things up for a lot of people :(

Aww thanks I am not Canadian and while I knew it was a long shot they had some folks I really wanted to work with. I applied to the PhD program.  I did get into my other Canadian school but they wanted a decision to early so I had to decline sadly.. Whew this has been a crazy cycle and a even crazier year. While it will hurt to not get in I dont understand why they just wont reject folks so we can move on.

2 minutes ago, ngl said:

@SpaceMaker Yeah I super do not understand keeping folks in purgatory.

Where have you gotten in / where are you planning on going?

Also, is there anyone else in this thread who is going to UBC?

Geography- UNC, York, UMBC, 

Non Geography- Minnesota, American University 

Also one nice wait list from Brandeis in Anthro

5 minutes ago, SpaceMaker said:

Geography- UNC, York, UMBC, 

Non Geography- Minnesota, American University 

Also one nice wait list from Brandeis in Anthro

Very cool! Are you leaning towards any particular program at this point?

15 minutes ago, ngl said:

Very cool! Are you leaning towards any particular program at this point?

At this point I am just trying to get through the day. I need Queens to hurry up and make a decision so I can feel confidant in my decision. 

On 3/30/2020 at 8:37 AM, ngl said:

@ng1 Good to know! Thanks for the reply. I’m actually just finishing up my masters at UBC, but my partner is waiting on his acceptances so I’m checking around for him to see what I can find out! He is American and his visa status kind of depends on getting into school so we are both a little nervy. He only applied there and UBC and has already been rejected from UBC...

@Mun-Dungusoh I'm sorry ? that is so stressful. It doesn't sound like anyone has heard from SFU yet, maybe the deliberation have been slowed down because of the pandemic. I feel really lucky to have gotten into UBC because my partner is Canadian and staying in the US wasn't really an option. (Of course, now I'm worried that COVID is going to shut down UBC in the fall...)

Did you do geography at UBC? If so can I PM you about your experience with the department?

5 hours ago, ngl said:

@Mun-Dungusoh I'm sorry ? that is so stressful. It doesn't sound like anyone has heard from SFU yet, maybe the deliberation have been slowed down because of the pandemic. I feel really lucky to have gotten into UBC because my partner is Canadian and staying in the US wasn't really an option. (Of course, now I'm worried that COVID is going to shut down UBC in the fall...)

Did you do geography at UBC? If so can I PM you about your experience with the department?

@ngl Yes it's quite stressful! All this visa stuff makes the process super high stakes. Congrats to you though! I'm sure they will formulate some kind of remote option for the fall at the very least... I can't really see the university being shut down. I'm finishing up at SCARP actually, but I did take a geography course last term so I'd be happy to connect you with someone. What's your focus? The course was with Jamie Peck so the contacts I have mostly have an economic focus. Feel free to PM me if you think that could be helpful. 

@Mun-Dungus Oh that's super cool, Jamie Peck is one of the reasons I picked UBC. I'm already in touch with a few people there but thank you for your offer! I hope your partner gets into SFU and I will let you know if I hear anything. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I used to frequent this website that was basically a google maps type of system but it showed elevation using a color gradient. And it would scale to wherever you zoomed in. I loved it mostly because it showed the unique patterns found with mountains, hills, river basins, etc.. I can no longer find the site but it had "topological" and "maps" in the address. There was an "en." at the start of it because I looked at it in English. Does anyone know the site?