Greetings everyone!

So, I am happy to announce that I am applying for PhD Programs in English. 

However, there are some things that I may need help with in terms of applying. 

1) I have a LOW gpa range across the board (2.55 overall, 2.6 in the last 60 units, 2.8 in the major).

2) I am not sure if I can get strong letters of recommendation from my professors, but I can still try to see if I can get some.

3) GRE Practice exam was at 143 Verbal, and 4.5 Analytical Writing. 

Although I have a low gpa, I KNOW what I want to pursue in terms of programs and faculty I would like to work with. 

Given these things, HOW do I get my GPA past an admissions committee? To my knowledge, they make cuts off the stack of applicants based on GPA. 

Any suggestions as to how I could shine on my application or improve my chances to applying for my prospective programs (UCI, UCSB, UCR, U of Washington, UT Austin)

Thanks!

Honestly, with those numbers your best bet is probably to apply for (funded) MA programs. Because there are so many strong applicants,  you will likely have a very hard time getting admitted to a PhD program, even if all of your application materials are stellar. However, admissions committees are more apt to forgive a less than stellar undergraduate records if you have completed an MA with high marks and good letters of recommendation. It won't necessarily reset your numbers, but I do think it would give you a much stronger chance. It's increasingly common to earn an MA at another institution before moving on to the PhD and is a good way to develop the skills necessary for success.

You would also probably benefit from a GRE prep course, or at least a study book. To some degree high test scores can mitigate the impact of a low GPA (though not entirely). But if you have both a low GRE and a low GPA, your application is unlikely to get a close look.

Finally, it may be important to address your grades in your statement of purpose. If you can provide some explanation for why they are low, that might cause an admissions committee to be more generous in reading your application. You need to be careful here though. Explaining your grades doesn't mean giving excuses. You still need to demonstrate that you take responsibility for them. A "woe is me" narrative is unlikely to be read sympathetically be an admissions committee.