Riverside, CA

JordanJames

This may seem like a silly question but how typical is it for earthquakes to occur in southern California?  Obviously, I don't expect anyone here to be a weather person and predict how many earthquakes may or may not happen in the next few years but has anyone experienced any during their years in/around riverside? Were they serious or small?

I'm from the greater New York area so earthquakes are not something I have a lot (read: any) experience with

Haha, no problem. I honestly haven't felt any of earthquakes in the past couple years for various reasons (driving, washing the car, etc.). Typically, they are very mild--you might hear the windows shake a bit etc, and feel a little something. There are bigger ones, but there haven't been any serious ones in quite a while (I don't recall anything major in the last 10 years...) but, of course they do happen. They aren't as regular as hurricanes and tornados, but most aren't a big deal or that noticeable. 

So, after some consideration and realizing that public school ratings are probably not based on the same priorities I hold, I've decided to stop looking at the numbers and just explore some areas on my own. I have the entire day tomorrow (today, technically); I'm planning to look closely at Riverside proper as well as venturing as far west as Pasadena, as far northeast as Redlands, and as far southeast as Moreno Valley (which isn't as far, actually, as I'd expected). I'll come back here and try to briefly summarize my impressions in case a newcomer's first look around is helpful to anyone else. 

For what it's worth, everything I've seen to this point looks great to me. I've lived in sterile gated communities, trendy big-city neighborhoods, laid-back beach communities, and downtown in an economically-bludgeoned Rust Belt city. I am not sure exactly what I had pictured, but Riverside has exceeded my expectations so far. 

So, after some consideration and realizing that public school ratings are probably not based on the same priorities I hold, I've decided to stop looking at the numbers and just explore some areas on my own. I have the entire day tomorrow (today, technically); I'm planning to look closely at Riverside proper as well as venturing as far west as Pasadena, as far northeast as Redlands, and as far southeast as Moreno Valley (which isn't as far, actually, as I'd expected). I'll come back here and try to briefly summarize my impressions in case a newcomer's first look around is helpful to anyone else. 

For what it's worth, everything I've seen to this point looks great to me. I've lived in sterile gated communities, trendy big-city neighborhoods, laid-back beach communities, and downtown in an economically-bludgeoned Rust Belt city. I am not sure exactly what I had pictured, but Riverside has exceeded my expectations so far. 

Thanks, Mmorrison! I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions. I'll be in Riverside next week for a recruitment day, but don't know how much time I'll have to look around, so it'll be good to hear your impressions! :) 

Am I crazy to try to get by without a car for the first year? My stipend is small and I'm worried about how car related expenses tend to grow and grow. I was thinking between my bike, the shuttle, the metro and ZipCar that it would be doable. But am hearing otherwise from folks already in the program I'm considering.

Hi mindahoney,

I spoke with a current student and she said while she likes having a car and wouldn't want to go without one, she thinks that is the case with most people - they just wouldn't want to go without one. Apparently a lot of students drive outside of Riverside for various events and activities. 

I'd love to hear mmorison's impressions of Riverside! 

I'll actually be at UCR for a visit this Thursday and Friday. Anyone going to be around?

@Minda, I know several students who don't have a car. It's completely doable, but can be difficult if you like going places beyond the everyday.

@ Nords, Unfortunately, campus is probably pretty dead right now, since it's finals week...

I think that's a decent area, but I'm not positive. I would suggest e-mailing Brittany, she knows a lot about neighborhoods and places to avoid. PM me if you need details, but she should be on Tina's email list.

So, I just finished my recruitment day at Riverside and loved it... much more than I expected to. It pisses me off, cause now my decision is so much harder haha. 

The same thing happened to me when I went to visit! 

The same thing happened to me when I went to visit! 

Yeah... so if I don't end up at Riverside, I'll just feel even worse about turning it down! 

• 2 months later...

Anyone who knows anyone, who lived at the Canyon Crest Family Housing?? Need reviews about the place. Cheap considering rent but what about other factors like freedom and guest policies?

• 3 months later...

I wish I'd found this forum earlier, it would've helped me so much in looking around neighborhoods for rent, and all the other things we're searching for when relocating. I've chosen UCR for its great professors at GSOE and for the affordability of living in the area. My family and I have done quite a research both online and in person and Riverside won over LA. Relocating within Socal wasn't all that difficult but we had to take into consideration safer areas for our kids and doing all this all by ourselves was not too easy. We're renting a single family house around the Fairmount Park area and I'd like to know your opinion about it. For now my kids are homeschooled because it was just too much to do alll the research - house hunting - moving process and find the right schools altogether. For now they're in K12 online schooling and if this fits them, we'll keep doing it for the first year here. If not, I'm afraid of the ratings the high schools have around here... Kid1 is a freshman this year. We were hoping for I-Poly but since I chose Riverside, a commute of more than 30 miles only to get Kid1 to school is out of the question. Hubby has a 40 miles commute to his job now but oh well, he loves driving anyway and is even considering a bike soon so it's sunny on his way.

My concerns remain related on my kids schools and the area we rent in now. I'm on the waiting list for the family housing on campus but those are really tiny and the waiting list doesn't seem to move at a pace we needed.

Thank you for any input.

Anyone who knows anyone, who lived at the Canyon Crest Family Housing?? Need reviews about the place. Cheap considering rent but what about other factors like freedom and guest policies?

If you are still interested in Canyon Crest Family Housing, there is the handbook online where you can find the detailed rules. They are quite a few.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I plan to attend Riverside starting Fall 2015.  I am physically disabled, I was planning to get my own room in an apartment in Bannockburn Village.  From Bannockburn, it's a 0.5 mile walk (with a cane) to my department's building (Computer Science & Engineering).  I do not own a car.

Anyone have an opinion on Bannockburn Village?

Thanks!

-James

Oh, and do new graduate students at UCR have to pay $100 when submitting their Statement of Intent to Register?  Thanks!

That's for undergrads.

Sorry I cannot answer the questions regarding the different on-campus apartments, I live off campus.

That's for undergrads.

Sorry I cannot answer the questions regarding the different on-campus apartments, I live off campus.

Where off-campus do you live, and what are your housing conditions?  Do you get your own room/studio, is it walking distance from campus, do you take a bus, or do you drive a car?

Thanks!

-James

• 1 month later...

Hi :) I am looking for an apartment, anyone have any good suggestions area wise? Would love to be walking distance from campus, but safety and price are just as important. What is typical price range for this kind of one bed room?